Petrol strimmers

Stihl have got a good reputation, and do some good kit, but IMO, they are a little overpriced. I was recently in the market for a strimmer and hedge cutter, I got the brochures, surfed the web, then finally chose the Stihl multi-head combi system. I had written down the part numbers I needed, and went down to order them, but when I got to the dealer to try them, I found they were not as well balanced as I expected, and just 'didnt feel right'. The combi system was written off, so I looked at the individual tools, then the dealer said have a look at these - Tanaka link here: .

I'd never heard of them, yet he said they were just as good as Stihl, can be used all day without problems, and were £50+ cheaper per item than Stihl. Their strimmer felt the most balanced of all I'd tried - it can be changed to a 3 sided blade type head, which, when used, is a revelation

- it is so easy to cut through things. I was expecting to buy a long hedge trimmer, but eventually settled on a short one by Tanaka, as again, it just felt right when I held it. I've had them 3 weeks now, only being used on my own (large) garden, and a bit of nettle and bramble cutting next door with no problems at all. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks for that. So which models did you choose?

Reply to
Andy Hall

TBC-230 strimmer/cutter and a THT-1800 hedge trimmer. 22cc now I've seen the spec. Plenty enough power - the cutter was going through thick brambles last week with ease. Auto stop as well - take your hand off the throttle, and the head stops spinning, the same with the hedge cutter, you need to hold the throttle before the cutters start. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Ahh, Samarkand, Cairo, Saigon, Northants - exotic mysterious, romantic, with just a whiff of danger!

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Look on the bright side though - you could have been shagging your sister since about the age of 8

Owain

Reply to
Owain

OK. Very good. thanks

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Auto stop" means to me that the engine stops automagically rather than just the cutting head. The latter is normally know by "safety clutch" OWTTE. Uses a centrifugal clutch to disengage the motor drive unless the revs are up. At idle there is no real power fed to the cutter, maybe just a little movement from clutch drag.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Luxury !

We 'ad it tough ...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

He'd have to live in Norfolk for that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I detect sarcasm. Have you *seen* Northern women??

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

A sickle, along with a good honing stone in the back pocket to sweeten it up now and then, is quite simple to master, and will quietly and satisfyingly cover the ground surprisingly quickly. The thin bladed sort even do a reasonable job on a lawn, and leave it green, when a combination of mowers and drought turns most lawns brown. It also enables you to keep your eye on the real problem weeds so you can hoik them out properly as you go: whereas, the strimmer brigade only succeed in turning acres into scrub suckers and dandelion and dock roots: but they don't care cos it's usually someone else's patch they are working on, and keeping it that way gets them more 'work' the next year. Only problem I had with the sickle was, I didn't like it when I sliced frogs in half... Scythe handles, tend to be a favourite with the wood worms, I find...

spamlet

Signed No-toes Viemeister.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yeah - Kirsty Young! 8^) Several times when she's been reading the news, I've clearly heard her say 'Come to bed with me, Jim!'.

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

:) Never even scratched myself! Developing a nice, even swing, took a while, though. Very satisfying, once you get it right.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Anything with less than roughtly 22cc and no bevel gearbox needs avoiding in my mind! The FS85 retails at around £170 quid , where did you get 330 from?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Most sites seem to have about £390 as the price. I found one at about £330, nothing less. Where can you see £170?

Reply to
Andy Hall

A few years ago (actually....about 20 now - I must be getting old) my Grandad died and we had to clear out the house. As there was loads of what appeared to us to be half decent furniture we got a friendly local antiques guy around.

He dismissed all of the furniture but pulled 3 scythe handles out of the bonfire we were preparing to light in the garden. That and two egg cups were all that he found of any value.

Apparantly the handles go for a decent amount of cash to beefeater type pubs to make them into authentic country pubs (well, that's the idea - never seen one that didn't just look tacky). They probably pay extra for authentic wood worm :) The one up for the road from us has some really convincing woodworm holes in the beams - they are perfectly square...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Unlikley. On the diet of those days puberty was about 19.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

True but it's not that difficult. There are websites e.g

use one on my allotment for the long grass, nettles, comfrey, path edges etc. It's really fast compared to a strimmer. I use a motor mower for grass paths and lawns however.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Scythe safe for the user but could be a hazard to onlookers especially if they come too close. And frogs etc but they tend to hop off sharpish.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom