Petrol Stone Cutter problems.

Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise will eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Reply to
mark

Since it sounds like its gotta broken throttle cable or linkage, thats not surprising

Check the throttle control is operating the throttle butterfly.

Could be that has siezed in some way

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuel starvation from a partially blocked jet or filter? Also check vent in fuel tank filling cap is clear. Check air filter is clear.

Reply to
harry

Is the fuel fresh?

Reply to
ss

which ibot of

"I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no effect."

did you fail to understand?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didn't that tell you something?

Now you've fupped it. Get the workshop manual or manual for the engine as you'll need the setup procedure to get the mixture right again. That's after you have checked that the throttle linkage isn't just broken or disconnected.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh c'mon..setting idle mixture and idle speed on a 2-stroke is hardly rocket science.

I cant remember any of my model plane engines coming with a manual.:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise will eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

1) Drain existing fuel and refill. Test. If engine starts better but won't run smoothly then clean air filter if dirty. If paper element blow through with air line carefully, do NOT immerse in petrol or solvents. At worst it will eventually destroy the filtration capability resulting in rich fuel result.

2) Remove cover (If fitted) from around carb inspect linkage from throttle lever to carb. If detached figure out why and reconnect. Test. If starts and responds to trigger...All may be better.

3) Remove screw previously screwed in to make engine run. Insert again and turn clockwise about 3 turns. ( I suspect this is the idle screw) Test Start engine, if it runs, gently "Blip" the throttle and slowly warm the engine until will run without choke, Allow to settle to a fast idle back screw off until engine runs *without* turning blade. Leave this as your idle speed.

3) Inspect for another screw, smaller than the one you have just adjusted. If it has a spring behind the head between it and the casing of the machine screw in gently until stops, turn back out around 1½ to 2 turns. Test If engine starts, runs, but sounds as it it is struggling turn out another ¼ to ½ turn. If possible do this while engine running until at idle the engine runs smoothly. If you can't get it to run smoothly turn the OTHER screw in until it will run, readjust the mixture screw until it runs smoothly, don't forget to lower the rev's again after setting.

4) If after this process has been followed the engine runs fine...LEAVE IT AS IT IS... Don't tinker further If it doesn't run well, cannot achieve full rev's, will not run with enough power to be usable...Take it to a local small tool hire place and have them inspect further.
Reply to
Nthkentman

Throttle cable broke? as you suggest later

Sounds like this large screw is the idle speed adjustment rather than the two small screws normally for lo and hi mixture strength

AJH

Reply to
news

That's assuming that you can get the thing to run in the first place. B-) With random adjustments of the settings you need the book to tell you what the "ball park" settings should be to get it running...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The devil is in the detail.

I've known a 2 stroke lawnmower with a blocked fuel filter to act in exactly the same way as described here.

As you say, check the simplest things first.

Reply to
Fredxx

is that like Paper, Stone, Scissors?

Reply to
djc

I understood and think you are right. Thanks. Havent been about to tinker or reply.

mark (O.P.)

Reply to
mark