Petrol-proof washer

The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles out which, with a hot motor on a hot day... I have some washers that fit (Aldidl kit) but they shrink and deform after a few weeks. They're about 39 mm (1.5") OD and 30 mm ID. I've tried Halfwits (I was up that way, OK?) and don't know where else to go. Looking at such cans in Wickes showed that even new ones don't have washers! Any pointers please?

Reply to
PeterC

Buy a new can which doesn't leak? They're only a few quid.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Probably because it is the cheapest type of rubber (SBR). Get Nitrile rubber sheet from eBay, cut a new one. Of course in hot weather the can is going to pressurise itself, so it may not seal if the washer is below the level of the liquid.

Reply to
newshound

try making one out of silicone sealer. apply a bead around the nozzle top, and then screw it down and leave it. wIth luck the nozzle will unscrew.

Or better still, buy a funnel and throw the bloody nozzle away. They are as you have discovered almost useless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The can's OK as is the cap. As new cans will have the same problem it seems pointless repeating the process.

Reply to
PeterC

Ah, thanks - it was nitrile that I couldn't remember. I'd guessed that the washer was butyl. If the washer is below the liquid, it means that the can isn't upright. With the nozzle on, the can's not pressurised.

Reply to
PeterC

OK, I'll give it a go.

The nozzle actually works very well and means less stuff to lose, as it fits around the can when not in use.

Reply to
PeterC

Will just harmlessly evaporate.

Reply to
Adrian

Um, surely you've got the cap on when it's not in use? You'd only you the nozzle outside the car. Minor dribbles will evaporate away outside quickly enough. Or have I not understood the problem?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Before synthetics, those brown/red fibre washers seemed to be used on car carburettors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Silicone sealer falls apart when petrol touches it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Don't waste your time. TNP issues such advice and has no fecking clue.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I said try.

I have never seen silicone fail on contact with petrol

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's not my experience. What sealant did you use?

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, of course. The whole point of this is that the nozzle dribbles around the thread when filling mower or car. The petrol seems quite good at killing grass (perhaps would be better with vinegar/salt in it) and moving off the grass almost always means being close to buildings.

Reply to
PeterC

Too hard for plastic threads - useless on shower hoses as well.

Reply to
PeterC

If the plastic is that soft it should deform enough to provide its own seal. Have you checked for moulding ridges etc which if removed would allow this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have; more than once.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Automotive gasket silicone, not some bathroom stuff.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Petrol eats silicone, don't use silicone any where near petrol

Reply to
F Murtz