Petrol Mower wont prime and start

Help...

I have a Champion mower with a Briggs & Stratton 35 Classic motor(approx

4 year old) that's never given me any real problems. I have serviced it myself and all worked fine until today. The engine has a red prime bulb which when U push squirts petrol into the carb (I think) when I tried to prime it today there's nothing happening, no feel of liquid moving etc. just an air noise. I Have taken off the air filter and sure enough no squirt of petrol can be seen. Checked the obvious and the tank is full any ideas where I go next ?

Thanks in hope with a very long lawn and only a one day dry spell forecast.

Reply to
JD

With filter off,pour a little bit of petrol into the carb cylinder and try starting it like that to see if its air in the feed pipe?

ps if it works leave it alone till a problem does arrive.. Thats my motto. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If it's two-stroke the oil and petrol may have separated over Winter and bunged up the pipework (hint from the local pub)

john2

Reply to
john2

If there's petrol appearing at the carb and it ain't starting remove the plug and check it's clean and regap to 20 thou.

Also check the kill engine device (Switch or contacts on carb) and see if there's a short.

If you are getting a spark *and* fuel then maybe the main jet is a little gummed or you've got water in the float bowl

Reply to
Me here

Want to read the post again. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I used to make a goodly profit the start of every mower season by doing the very same thing.

Lots of little rubber bits that get stuck shut when they should be working as valves and stuff.

If it was a "start of the season" thing then yep, but if it is a mid season already been used on several occasions then I'd guess it's something else, but worth a try in the first instance.

Another thing that was very common with rotary mowers was if the blade hit an immoveable object (stump/stone etc)which often caused the small "key" that holds the flywheel in correct position on shaft to become partially "sheared" which threw the timing out by a few degrees.

Home made flywheel puller would be required in such instances.

Pete

& Fitness Equipment at it's best

Reply to
GymRatZ

Don't need to. I was suggesting what *should* happen ideally. I can see there is a problem in the fuel line by the description. Possibly the diaphragm or valve is damaged or allowing air past in the primer.

Reply to
Me here

A squirt of Bradex EasyStart is my answer every Spring. Wonderful stuff, I wonder if they still sell it?

Reply to
Steve Walker