Petrol mower stops after 15 mins?

Hi, my old rotary mower stops after about 15 mins. I don't think it's a vacum in the petrol tank since it looks clean and after opening the tank I still have to leave it to 'cool' down for 5-10 mins before it will start again. Any ideas as to the problem please. Thank you. Neil

Reply to
nafuk

I am no expert in engines, but am learing with my bobcat which has issues from time to time.......

Silly question I know, You got any oil in it ? If so is the filter blocked - that was why my bobcat had the same problem. If so, then the oil is junk, you need to drain it, flush it (diesel is what I used), and re-fill, also changing the oil filter.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Running hot and vapour locking ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Unless the mower is some what industrial (or exotic) I somehow doubt it has a oil filter...

Sounds like fuel vaporisation or an ignition fault as temperature is the problem.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It is difficult to diagnose at a distance but one valuable pointer to where the problem may be is the colour and condition of the internal insulator of the spark plug. Run the engine and do some work with it till it stalls. Remove the sparkplug and look at the business end.

If the insulator is white and possibly cracked the engine is running with a weak mixture and is running too hot. A milk choc brown colour and all is well with the carb. Black and dry sooty means the carb is set too rich. Black and oily usually indicates too much engine wear.

It would help to know if it a two or four stroke engine and the make might be handy.

Richard.

.
Reply to
Richard

choke stuck on? Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

Reply to
Mike

Try changing the plug. I had a similar fault with mine last year, it would run for 15 mins then stop. I fitted a new plug and no more problems.

Reply to
Kaiser

Look at the air filter. Similar problem on mine last year, took the air filter box off and the outside (underside) of the filter was clogged with grass cuttings. Cleaned it off in warm water and soaked it in oil (squeezing out the excess) and all is hunky chunky! HTH

John

Reply to
John

Hi, thanks for all the advice. It's a four stoke. I'll look for the filters and clean them and also replace the spark plug and then report back. Thnak you.

Reply to
nafuk

Would agree , had a 2 stroke strimmer which would only run for several minutes, changed plug and it was fine. Its an easy thing to try as well!

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look