petrol in diesel tank

Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the top and i can syphon it off .

Advice please

parts

Reply to
christopher

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How new's the car?

If it's not a modern common rail diesel, then just drive it. If it is, you'll PROBABLY be OK, but I think I'd rather play safe and drain the tank. Forget trying to separate the two.

Reply to
Adrian

That will run OK.

They will in fact mix.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even if it is common rail, it should be OK for one tank at less than 5% adulteration.

No fractional distillate at commercial rates is a 'pure' kerosene..there is always and admixture of some heavier and some lighter fractions. In fact diesel and kerosene are slightly different pulls of the distillates anyway, and most diesels will happily run on either.

Id be less happy about the additives in petrol, but these are small percentages, so a small percentage of an even smaller percentage..nah. Run it.

Might clatter a bit more than usual, but burn it, and keep topping up with fresh diesel at half tank mark. Lets face it, if people run on chip oil, a dash of petrol wont screw it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My brother in law put petrol in his common rail diesel Citroen Berlingo and ran it until the engine stopped. I was sure that it was going to be knackered. After draining and refilling its been fine ever since.

I would agree that at that low level of contamination it's probably going to be fine.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

been there, done that, ignored it. the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long as its unleaded.

Reply to
dennis

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

Reply to
Fredxx

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would in a car with a petrol engine.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Just wondering, are you now sitting on the garage forecourt awaiting replies...?

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Roger Mills" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it won't. Apart from most diesels not having "cats", those that do work on a completely different principle that isn't susceptible to lead poisoning.

Far more likely is damage to the pump on a common rail diesel from lack of lubrication.

B'sides, if you find the handful of suppliers of leaded these days, you're going to have such a serious double-take at the price that you won't make the error...

Reply to
Adrian

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd bus.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Earlier this year I put six litres in mine before I realised it was petrol and not diesel. I then filled the tank with diesel and ran it, filling up again after 60 miles and then after about 120. Several

1,000 miles later there's no problems that I know of. At the time I had just read on uk.rec.driving that lorry drivers sometimes put some petrol in their tanks during cold weather to stop the diesel waxing up so I was confident that I would be OK.
Reply to
Peter Johnson

Peugeot range of diesels have cats although there have been cases mentioned on alt.autos.peugeot where they have been removed and the car remained legal and happily passed MOTs. I believe most other makes have them as well.

Reply to
Keith W

Corsa has one along with dire warnings in the handbook about ignoring the warning light more than twice. I have to maintain 2000rpm for twenty minutes to burn off the "particulates".

Reply to
ericp

I don't believe you. Unless you're actually blind, you've seen loads. Whether you knew they had them is a different matter...

Reply to
Clive George

A particulate filter is not a catalytic converter.

And they are not mandatory, and are not fitted universally.

I wish they were.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am not going to comment on the fuel, only make a suggestion that you fit one of these or something silmilar.

I fitted one (cannot remember the make) to the apprentices Kangoo after a full tank of unleaded was put in by mistake.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Adding petrol to diesel used to be pretty common in the winter to help it flow. So it mixes well.

Such a small amount is unlikely to do any harm even to the most sophisticated of modern diesels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you forgot to post a link!

Reply to