Petrol in Diesel Engine

Page 3 of 4

Wiv aught me barra, me auld cock sparra. How is that for starters guv?

Nope. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

This is a well known characteristic of the plumbers favourite Transit Van.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Of course it does. There's only so much extra energy in the fuel, and only so much extra thermal efficiency in the engine. Beyond that, more power more fuel = poorer fuel consumption.
People see figures such as 150bhp, 250lb/ft and 50mpg, and think they can all be achieved at the same time. Yeah right. (Not saying it's a bad thing that one engine can achieve all three, however.)
--
John

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

Hmm. You may not have driven the right ones.

Just trying to get to work on time as fast and as cheap as possible.

Mmm. I have a turbo diesel, and the engine itself is super reliable.
You need to DESIGN for a turbo, you can't just strap one oin and hope.
I drove a Mondeo TD some time back. Pretty good car really, although the power band was a tad narrow. Changing down didn't net you extra power like a petrol: Concversely you could pull in quite high gears rather well, as long as you were over the turbo kick in level.

IMM wrote:

I guess you haven't driven many turboed or supercharged petrol engines then :-)

IMM wrote:

Bollox. My petrol will do 6 miles to the gallon if floored. The diesel does at least 10.

normal
I'm talking about real cars.

IMM wrote:

It is a real car.

STOPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PETROL IN A DIESEL WILL WARP THE HEAD IF NOT BLOW THE THING AWAY ESPECIALLY SUCH A STRONG MIX.
TAKE THE FUEL LINE OFF AND PUMP IT OUT WITH THE ELECTRIC PUMP OR BUY ANOTHER ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP FOR SUCH EMERGENCIES FROM A SCRAP YARD. DRAIN INTO A DRUM AND GIVE IT TO A TREE SURGEON OR SOMEONE WITH A TWO STROKE MOTOR.
The AA will charge an arm and a leg for doing the above even for it's most respected members. Disposing of the fuel is the problem. You can use the fuel in a petrol engine but slip it in one gallon at a time when you fill it up.
Michael McNeil wrote:

...typing in uppercase, noone will read it.

Not at 10% it won't.

Only if you're of a very nervous disposition, and have little understanding of chemistry and IC engines.
--
Grunff

You should be fine. One of our diesel lease Focus's at work keeps getting petrol in it. According to Ford it can run at about 30% petrol. However keep topping up with diesel (ie. it dilute the mixture) and you should be fine.
message

I used to have a Montego Countryman estate with that noisy but incredibly frugal Perkins 2L engine. The handbook advised up to 25% petrol in cold weather - and using leaded fuel sure quietened it down as well. Must mean something.............
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com
"Jonathan@Home" wrote:

Yes, they are...

But they are miscible, unlike, say, oil and water.

It's unlikely to fire properly!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Probably not. Diesel's will usually burn any old filth. They're second only to gas turbines (jet engines) in their tolerance. Your typical jet will burn anything from propane, through petrol to the remains of your chip pan without skipping a beat, or even noticing the difference. Diesels aren't far behind.
The reason diesels are so tolerant is because the fuel is directly injected into the compressed air and spontaneously combusts with precise timing. In a petrol engine, the fuel is premixed and must be kept from burning until the spark comes along. It needs high octane fuel for the fuel air mixture to not be too impatient and blow before the spark.
Christian.
In normal use they definitely do mix. An old truck drivers' trick to prevent diesel freezing (from the days before 'anti-freeze' in diesel was standard) was to put a few gallons of petrol in the diesel during cold snaps. This does work, and - I think - proves they mix.
That's not to say that if you mixed the two and left them untouched for a few days they wouldn't start to separate out.
I read on some 'reputable' site (AA or RAC I think) that up to 20% of petrol in diesel was quite safe. Or vice-versa, if your petrol engine would run with however much diesel you'd put in it, that was safe also. I shudder to think of the smoke it would knock out though!
Davey
--
"MartinC" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...
Davey wrote:

They wouldn't, any more than the individual fractions in diesel or petrol self separate while it sits in you tank.
--
Grunff

On considerable, I think you're right.
--
"Grunff" < snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com> wrote in message
news:bhdsl3$11dl0c$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de...

Made worse now that some cars have a black label / logo inside the filler cap signifying unleaded. Well that was my excuse to our pool car lady when I screwed up.....
Getting a little off topic, but since we're banging on about cars, does anyone know what the music is from that new Peugeot 205 add? It's been annoying me for days, sounds familiar ... very moody track??