Petrol in cans

Point the nozzle straight down into the can, then it stops fine IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's Usenet, nobody died.

They should have, mind.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh, I dunno. He wanders in, takes one look and with his first arrow scores a bullseye on TNP. Right on the money, in my book.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I dont recall that.

I think your prejudices are showing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where did he find a pump that would dispense that value of fuel or run for long enough to do it. When we had the fuel price protests I'd often bump into either a price limit (=A3100) or the pump would cut off on a timer before I'd reached that value.

Doesn't happen these days unless being force to "pay at pump", bloody useless things can't fill the car up by a long chalk for =A399.

About 1000 miles.

Normal range when running from full to "air" is about 600 miles and costs 110 to 120 to fill backup. Unless it's a bloody useless pay at pump thing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Where did he find a pump that would dispense that value of fuel or run for long enough to do it. When we had the fuel price protests I'd often bump into either a price limit (£100) or the pump would cut off on a timer before I'd reached that value.

Doesn't happen these days unless being force to "pay at pump", bloody useless things can't fill the car up by a long chalk for £99.

About 1000 miles.

Normal range when running from full to "air" is about 600 miles and costs 110 to 120 to fill backup. Unless it's a bloody useless pay at pump thing.

That's about 32mpg'ish.

I'd have thought (though I must be wrong) that the great British public would think - hang on a second, this is getting ridiculous.

30 miles round trip to work is ~ £60 per week from my pay. I wonder what it'll take for peeps to say enough is enough? Or do we all just continue to smile and pay up? Or add to the "drive-offs".
Reply to
scorched

I worked in a filling station for a while. I still stand to one side...

Humber Hawks/Snipes (I had a Hawk), certain old Rovers, Austin Cambridge etc., and a few others. The best were Minis - no real pipe, straight into the tank.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My god, you folks are ancient ;)

Reply to
scorched

HGV pumps will dispense a lot of fuel in a very short time. Not advisable if you are filling a car tank, but they should work with a container in the back of a van if it had a large filler cap.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

This is true but you don't find many HGV pumps on ordinary garage forecourts. I know of one Shell garage that has a button you can push, on one pump, to get HGV fill rates. I've yet to have the nerve to press it. Do HGV pumps have the latch on available?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not as a rule, no, due to the regulations governing petrol station forecourts. However, a pop rivet stem can often be used to enable it in place of the bar they remove.

Reply to
John Williamson

Hey, it wasn't all that long ago.

Oh, well; maybe it was. Fuck's sake.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

As I usually say, it's later than you think (sorry Geoff). Beats me where the damn time goes. I'm 64 now, 3 weeks back I was 21.

Reply to
scorched

How's the skin on your hands, the petrol vapour fookd mine in no time just working part time in a filling station for a year.

Reply to
fred

When I was at sixth form that is what I did at the weekends to earn money. Filling Austin Metro's was harder than filling HGVs.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Pretty much correct.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It will probably depend upon whether the site has enough space for a dedicated HGV pump lane outside the canopy and, of course, what the approach roads are like. I know several filling stations with HGV pumps, but all are alongside trunk roads or other major A roads, where land is cheap and lorries are frequent.

I wouldn't advise it unless you are filling something with a large tank and a wide short filler neck.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Fun isn't it :) there aren't as many that make me feel young as there were a while ago!

The filler on my car is over a metre long. I stick the nozzle right in, run until stop. Then listen for the gurgling to stop. It'll usually take another 5 litres then.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I forgot that - I owned one! 1952 model...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't really need one, with the pull-up spout thing on the tank.

Reply to
Bob Eager