Petrol and Kerosene

I'm very impressed!

Despite Google pics being 2 years old I see they still sell the stuff:

Perhaps the OP's S-I-L lives nearby?

Reply to
Fredxxx

All three the same stuff as near as damn it. Paraffin might be slighly more refined and have perfumes added as heating oils is a bit stinky in itself and after being burnt.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

e has got petrol mixed with kerosene in his tank. Apart from how this happe ned (apparently there is recent history linking it to a particular filling station), what detrimental effect will it have had on the engine. Garage is talking in terms of a reconditioned engine

If the cylinder head is cracked you will have gargoyles panting up the brea ther, mayonnaise on the filler cap and eventually oil in the radiator from a failed head gasket.

Get it pressure tested. But generally once you get the knock of death it wi ll be a reconditioning job.

The fuel tank can be emptied by fitting a fuel pump to the line. I don't kn ow if you can use it again. If you also have an old banger in the garage or a lawnmower you won't mind destroying you might use it on that.

OTOH you may want to keep a sample duly witnessed with an affidavit from so me sort of fuel expert. I would suggest you get some legal advice if it loo ks like an expensive problem.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

eavy a.k.a. heating oil.

Technically kerosene and paraffin are trade names for the same chemical: la mp oil. When Texan oil wells were first discovered other petroleum products were wa ste products but the amount available made it a commodity and soon the moto r industry and railways began to make use of the new fuel. It was even cons idered for use in ships.

Today very few people use paraffin but heating oil can be a variety of prod ucts the same as jet fuels. Mixtures differ to take advantage of whatever i s cheapest at the refinery at the time. Jet fuels are mixed to suit the nee ds of the planes and the weather as well as the availability/price.

In your original comment you revealed very little other than you were expec ting a lot for nothing. Yes people do jump to conclusions but that is becau se they are helpful to a fault. The fault in this case revealing there is a familial predisposition to negligence in your family.

Would you mind telling the group if there is a genetic relationship to the garage manager and you?

Not that it would be helpful (especially not to you) but it would be reveal ing. Interesting to some too, no doubt.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

And basically this is a conspiracy theory with the agent provocateur not sp eaking to Fred, cautioned by previous experience no doubt, or just fred up with being married to a family of mule stuffers?

The lad has gone to a garage with a dead engine and told his wife about it. This story got rod jerked into what turns out to be a troll/fiasco and her e we are debating what-ifs with know nothings. And it is all nothing whatso ever to do with the OP as he was not invited to the autopsy in the first pl ace.

An alternative version:

And Fred is about to go to the garage with his son in law and find out WTF he was not talking about, first hand. Inviting himself to the party if that will be acceptable.

But that won't stop what is going on in this thread as a variety of opinion s have been mooted and will be challenged/defended and redirected as and wh en the need arises.

It is not clear whether Fred will feel the need to enlighten us on any furt her developments

it isn't even clear if that will be necessary.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I have hear of claims for mis-fueling as a way of getting a new engine on the insurance?

Reply to
Fredxxx

heavy a.k.a. heating oil.

waste products but the amount available made it a commodity and soon the mo tor industry and railways began to make use of the new fuel. It was even co nsidered for use in ships.

oducts the same as jet fuels. Mixtures differ to take advantage of whatever is cheapest at the refinery at the time. Jet fuels are mixed to suit the n eeds of the planes and the weather as well as the availability/price.

ecting a lot for nothing. Yes people do jump to conclusions but that is bec ause they are helpful to a fault. The fault in this case revealing there is a familial predisposition to negligence in your family.

WTF are you wittering on about. Who stole your bun?

I was expecting a lot for nothing?

You know my family ?

Fascinating your name is not familiar to me.

It was promulgated as a subject for discussion, as are the vast majority of threads in this newsgroup.. I gave all the information I had. I made NO me ntion of diesel. People jumped to conclusions. Not my fault squire. I can h ardly be expected to allow for this. You really want to read and inwardly d igest before commenting.

e garage manager and you?

Now you're being facetious.

aling. Interesting to some too, no doubt.

Run that by me again. You're suggesting I am in cahoots with the garage man ager. Which garage manager ? The one who sold the fuel or the one who diagn osed the problem ?

See, you're not very good at making yourself clear are you ?

And ignoring that for the moment. Why would I ask the question on here if I was in cahoots with either of them ?

Reply to
fred

speaking to Fred, cautioned by previous experience no doubt, or just fred u p with being married to a family of mule stuffers?

Now you're just being obnoxious.

t. This story got rod jerked into what turns out to be a troll/fiasco and h ere we are debating what-ifs with know nothings. And it is all nothing what soever to do with the OP as he was not invited to the autopsy in the first place.

Rod ? Who is Rod ? The man with the Emu ?

Au contraire. I was asked for an opinion.

Troll eh ? Well if thats the case now you are feeding the troll.

F he was not talking about, first hand. Inviting himself to the party if th at will be acceptable.

ons have been mooted and will be challenged/defended and redirected as and when the need arises.

rther developments

You missed your vocation, pal. Submit your fictional witterings to Amazon a nd have them published.

And do yourself a favour. If you don't like what has been going on in this thread and have no useful contributions to make, then don't bloody read it .

Reply to
fred

he has got petrol mixed with kerosene in his tank. Apart from how this hap pened (apparently there is recent history linking it to a particular fillin g station), what detrimental effect will it have had on the engine. Garage is talking in terms of a reconditioned engine

eather, mayonnaise on the filler cap and eventually oil in the radiator fro m a failed head gasket.

will be a reconditioning job.

know if you can use it again. If you also have an old banger in the garage or a lawnmower you won't mind destroying you might use it on that.

some sort of fuel expert. I would suggest you get some legal advice if it l ooks like an expensive problem.

Yep. He's got a sample.

It now transpires that there is 200,000 miles on the engine so its probably well worn already.

Reply to
fred

Have the tank drained and the petrol lines flushed through. If it then runs ok, likely no damage done.

Adding paraffin to petrol reduces the octane rating appreciably. If you did run the engine with it running badly for some time you may well have burnt a piston or two.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

200k miles is it for a petrol engine these days.

Cheapest alternative is to buy a car for a grand...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Weatherlawyer posted

Talking of which, is it safe to run a 4-stroke lawn mower on petrol that has a dash of 2-stoke oil in it, about 100:1? It's a mower that I

*would* mind destroying since I paid £600 for it six months ago.
Reply to
Big Les Wade

you can run them on just about anything.

Might need a plug change a year earlier than the 13 years mine has gone through without one

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

O dear!, mines clocked up 228K but then again its a bit of German petrol metal;)..

Local taxi co runs theres up to 350-400K odd before selling them on Skoda diesel estates they are too;!..

Yep some good ones to be had around..

Reply to
tony sayer

diesels yes. Petrols are seldom much over 200K

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reading between the lines I suspect that may be the case. Apparently it gave trouble on the motorway one night, he had it towed off and serviced but it was still rough when he got it back but he still drove it.

If so, he's paying the price of his lack of knowledge now.

This has been a most interesting thread and general discussion.

Many thanks to all who made useful comments

Reply to
fred

yes family owned and run forecourt/garages like this (they still have some points and condensers in stock!) are becoming increasingly rare in Sussex, still quite a few hidden away in the west country and up-north i think.

-
Reply to
Mark

My brother's '87 BMW 520 has passed 250,000 miles. Original drive train. Has lead a hard life towing too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oddly enough the best cars for life are big engines with auto boxes.

Dont get so caned

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a large(ish) car with a 2 litre engine. And a manual.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)