Pest control came and dealt with wasp nest in garden, what about stragglers?

Yes it is. Wasps are evil gits.

Reply to
David Lang

Sorry, but I simply cannot work in the garden cutting back the weeds if by doing so I disturb a wasp nest from which hordes of angry wasps exit and go on the attack.

Tell you what, if there's a next time, I'll get YOU to clear away the weeds and stuff, okay? But you'll chicken out, won't you?

Maybe you'd like me to buy a bee suit to do the gardening in?

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes they would. Wasps are evil gits.

Reply to
David Lang

Not even one to call you a knob head?

Reply to
ARW

When did one last sting you? And did you cry like a 10 year old girl?

Wasps do not attack humans.

Reply to
ARW

You normally need to wait a couple of days, as some may not have taken the poison as yet. I have no issue with them if they are well out of my way, but as you found out, if they take up residence where you need to do work, they are very territorial and are not phased by your size.

I had one under the bathroom floor and as you can imagine, a naked person in that room is rather vulnerable. The other problem is that my next door neighbour as a small hole in the wall under the floor and they were all coming up in their bathroom as well. The guy had to don protection and cut a floorboard to shove the poison in, then he shut the bathroom off so I had to pee in a bottle for a few hours. However two days later, just a few lost wasps were seen looking lost. We put a narrow mesh over all the air bricks the next day. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Wasps get very drowsy toward their end of season. Where do you think they overwinter? This is the time they sting as they really don't know what they are doing at all. As long as the little grubs are killed next year you won't get them there again. However if its a ground based nest, please do not sow food crops there as the toxic powder is also toxic to us. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Only if you annoy them and even then they are only defending themselves.

Reply to
Bod

You're a drama queen.

Reply to
Bod

Does he wear a big fancy wig and a ball gown too? ;-)

Reply to
Ophelia

The flowers are irrelevant as far as wasps are concerned. Wasps don't visit flowers. Wasp larvae are carnivorous. Wasps keep the garden free of pests like greenfly and caterpillars.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

THEY HAVEN'T ALL DIED!!! I just went out there with the long-handled garden shears and started cutting away and quite a few suddenly flew out! I rang the chappie again and he's coming tomorrow to give them another blast. Ruddy good job I put on thick gloves, thick jacket with elastic bands around the sleeves, plus a brimmed hat with net curtain material draped over and tightly stuffed inside the jacket. I didn't get stung this time.

He said, can you see the entrance hole any better? And I have to say, no, not yet. That's why I wanted to cut the long grass around the spot where they fly in to reveal the entrance clearly.

Dunno what else to do. I thought, maybe set up the rotary mower, wait till dusk, put my rudimentary "bee suit" back on and mow over the area a couple of times. But I fear that's going to really set them off again. Plus, the grass catcher would be full of dying wasps and maybe some really lively ones.

Fuck nature!!

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, well now I know you're an idiot.

Please STOP with the unhelpful comments, okay?

MM

Reply to
MM

In the autumn, all the wasps in a nest die except the new queens. Only the queens survive. There are no grubs in a nest in the autumn, as the existing queen stops laying eggs. The new queens find sheltered places to hibernate over the winter, like in that pair of trousers hanging in the wardrobe.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

But do you have a WASP NEST?

MM

Reply to
MM

Sorry, I'd far rather keep the greenfly and caterpillars. They've never done me any harm. I can happily co-exist with them. But NOT with the wasps. Even if I have to buy a friggin' bee suit myself and a gallon of petrol, They.Are.Gonna.Die!

I don't mind a stray wasp, but there are hundreds in the back garden. Well, not as many since yesterday's blast with the poison dust, but still far too many for comfort.

MM

Reply to
MM

So some of the little bastards still managed to survive for 48 hours!!!

I thought "my" nest was utterly dead, but I reckon they have a tactic. They sense that most have died, so the survivors "play dead" by ceasing all flying activity. Meanwhile down in the nest they're f**king each other senseless to produce new ones as fast as possible.

MM

Reply to
MM

Not sure, but his boyfriend might :-)

Reply to
Bod

Only the queens overwinter, the rest die as soon as the frost hits.

Reply to
Tim Streater