Pesky PIR Light

Hi

We have a PIR lantern outside the front door. Bulb went so I changed it, now the pesky thing stays on all the time, even in daylight - can't find the destructions either.

It is (was) one of those that comes on at a low level after dusk, then turns to full power when the detector is triggered, then back to low level after a short time.

Tried turning in on during the day, turn on/off quickly, slowly, whatever.

Any ideas before I bin it & buy a new one?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

[snip]

Seen a couple of these do this. I assume it's the same as the dying light bulb taking out dimmer switches.

bulb pops, huge current pops the triac (or whatever is in these things).

It's dead dave...

:)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

If it uses a triac to switch the lamp (which it sounds like it does) then that has probably failed short circuit when the lamp popped.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:17:31 GMT, "The Medway Handyman" mused:

Bin it.

Reply to
Lurch

Remove the PIR circuit and use it as an ordinary light in another location, or keep it in the comes-in-useful box.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Triac seems to be the problem then.

We get through loads of PIR light, bloody things never seem to last long - mind you we have a substation at the end of our cul de sac and our voltage is always high - we also get through lots of light bulbs.

I shall avoid the dimming ones from now on.

Thinking about it, I've changed about 6 PIR lights for customers in the past year.

Any suggestions for a make that will last more than 5 mins?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The dimming ones are a terrible waste of money

chuck the thing, replace the triac with something of higher current rating, and it should last much better.

A low current fuse will sometimes save their bacon too, 2A is a good compromise between protection and robustness.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Its an ex lantern! ;-)

(The standalone PIRs from screwfix I fitted years ago are working perfectly. The PIR half lanterns I got from TLC were also rather nice)

Reply to
John Rumm

|!Hi |! |!We have a PIR lantern outside the front door. Bulb went so I changed it, |!now the pesky thing stays on all the time, even in daylight - can't find the |!destructions either. |! |!It is (was) one of those that comes on at a low level after dusk, then turns |!to full power when the detector is triggered, then back to low level after a |!short time. |! |!Tried turning in on during the day, turn on/off quickly, slowly, whatever. |! |!Any ideas before I bin it & buy a new one?

Both PIRs I have installed have failed within a year, added to the lamp failures. So maybe one has to live with the cost of a new one every year or so :-(.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

A higher current triac will also have a higher holding current, which relates to the minimum load a dimmer can drive. Often that's around 40W, and will increase roughly proportionally with a higher current triac. (This will not be an issue with dimmers designed for use with LV halogen lamps, but they're more expensive. It may not be an issue with a PIR -- check if it quotes a minimum load.)

So far, I've found a 3A MCB has protected some rather expensive X10 dimmers. 2A fuses don't -- many dimmers have them inside anyway. They often blow together with the triac.

In a circuit I designed which uses MOSFETs rather than triacs to switch mains, I have used a very fast blow fuse, but you won't find that in cheap dimmers, and it would blow almost every time a bulb blew (in this case, my load isn't bulbs).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've installed a number of relay based ones over the last ~12 years, and none have failed. They are all separate units from the lights temselves. In most cases, I find the light itself is in the wrong position for its PIR.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel