Personal emailers please read.

If people send me personal replies to any post I make, please be sure you use a valid return address in that reply. I am just about fed up with hitting reply and spending time answering people personally only to find the email address is either munged or now no longer current. There is one in this group who persistently uses an ntlworld address. you know who you are, stop it! I cannot see the headers unless I specifically shift tab there on every email, so I'll not see if its duff. Thanks for your attention, now back to your normal messages.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Personal replies? To newsgroup postings? Where will it all end? [1]

[1] FWIW my address is real, but hardly ever checked. ;-)
Reply to
Apellation Controlee

I would like to enter a plea for forgiveness to Mozilla Thunderbird users. The program was fairly recently altered such that replying to News in the original way replies to the email address. I myself have done this unknowingly a couple of times and upset at least one poster. I "think" I have got into the correct habit now.

Reply to
Broadback

I've had that a few times now, but from a different group. I've just kill filed there's on (by email) and told them on the group what I've done and why.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

In my newbie days of using newsgroups... I used my real email address when signing up to a newsgroup account.

Within days I was getting 100 spam emails every single day. Seems there are Newsgroup bots who harvest email addresses.

I ended up cancelling the email account and getting a new email account.

I then signed up to a new newsgroup account with the email address PLease.spam.me@I_love_spam.com

I never had any more spam emails after that..... I wonder why? :-)

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

I have been using usenet for at least 14 years, without disguising my email address. Yes, some spam comes through, but nothing that can't easily be dealt with.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

During the SWEN episode, I received thousands of emails every few hours, rendering my then address totally useless. That's when I started using a fake address for Usenet.

Reply to
S Viemeister

One advantage of using google is that your email address is protected from the bots but still can be used.

Reply to
harry

But it can be seen by anyone not using Google. And I doubt if the bots use Google to harvest addresses.

Reply to
Andrew May