permitted development query

If someone applies for PP for say, a small extension that would in fact have been allowed under PD, are their previously existing rights to further PD then cancelled?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

If the planners are on the ball the application should be returned. But if it is accepted and passed then it makes no difference.

I'm not up to speed on the current limits, but back when I started as a BCO you were allowed 50m3 of extensions. Where applicable you needed to build anything contentious (e.g. a large loft conversion dormer - rules now changed ISTR - or side extension) first out of your PD limit then go back for PP for the non-controversial rear extension. Build this first as PD and then you might have a major fight with the planners over what would otherwise be PD.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

superbeam.co.uk=A0www.superbeam.com=A0www.greentram.com

I have made enquieries with the local planning office recently about putting a pitched roof on a flat roofed extension which was built sometime in the 1980s. The extension is a single storey rear and side extension and the then owners did apply for planning.

However, when I rang the planning department about whether planning would be required for a pitched roof, I was told that as long as the volume of the original extension and the new pitched roof did not exceed 70m3 then planning permission would not be required. We are close to a conservation area and they did say that in such an area you would be only allowed 50m3.

Reply to
geoffr

Australiawww.superbeam.co.uk

thanks Geoff that's an interesting up-to-date experience - which local authority is that ? -if you don't mind. I am reading tales that each LA is taking their own view of the rules and effectively frustrating the new statutory PD scheme whoch was supposed t o make it easy for householders, developers etc - Brown's britain sigh....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

The local authority is Swansea. However, I have been told that you can get different answers depending on who you speak to!

What I cant understand is that planning permission was applied for the original extension when we have been told that even by increasing the size by the building of a pitched roof, permission is not required now. I can only assume that the permitted development threshold has increased. Just to be on the safe side once we have the plans for the new roof I think I will send them in just to get something in writing.

Reply to
geoffr

Australiawww.superbeam.co.ukwww.superbeam.comwww.greentram.com

mmmm ... beware that usually *any* VERBAL assurances from the planning dept. come to nought if you try and rely on them later - like when they are threatening to prosecute you!!

A Lawful Development Certificate (for yr proposed "development") is, I expect, what you will want to *prove* to all that PP is/was not required.

Even though its UK.DIY I would suggest you consider employing a pro for a few hundred quid to do the drawings and negotiate (as necess) for you to the LDC - Planners have been known to knock things back that with a few minor changes (which they also don;t have to tell you about!) it would sail through. A pro should be up on their game(s) and could save you a lot of time Ping about and even extra expense.

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

aliawww.superbeam.co.ukwww.superbeam.comwww.greentram.com

Thanks for the advice Jim. We are actually employing an achitect and a structural engineer as we are removing a structural wall so we also need calculations prepared as well as the drawings.

Reply to
geoffr

Australiawww.superbeam.co.ukwww.superbeam.comwww.greentram.com

Ah you should be fine then :>) -

NB It would be *really* interesting to hear your architect's opinion both on the PD question and the verbal LA response you got....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

If the current extension is between 50 and 70m3 then it might not have been PD when built, but would be now.

Reply to
Tony Bryer