Permission for TV aerial.

If that involves drilling holes in corners of chimney then yes. If it involves lashing then not so bad. Dishes on chimneys, in general, are always bad news. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes.

Reply to
<me9

Steve brought next idea :

There is usually no good reason to install a dish on a chimney, they work just as well at ground level.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would never install an heavy load close to the upper courses of bricks by drilling - the closer you get to the top, the less weight of brick there is above to hold it together. Lashing kits improve the strength and stability of a chimneys brick work.

Remember - The easy way to demolish a wall is to start at the top and work down, where they are weakest.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I quite agree - there are many times that he speaks as if he is an authority; for what he has said to be then totally rebutted by someone who truly knows what they are saying.

An accepted rule on the group should be: if George says don't do it this way, then that will probably be the best way to do it (and vice versa).

He's a liability (and a f****it)

Reply to
pete

The f****it is you,I mean why are you using two aliases on here? do you have a personality disorder or something?

Reply to
George

you can't see them on the chimney, walking past the house.

Reply to
George

Indeed, the only good reason is where a terrace of houses points more or less exactly at the satellite so that a signal cannot be received from either wall.

Even then there are better alternatives such as T&K brackets on wall with pole to take dish just above roof where a clear line of sight to satellite exists. Or better still a ground mount somewhere in their garden that did have a clear sight to the satellite.

A lot of people actually want them up on chimney out of sight. I could normally put people off the idea when I likened it to them trying to hold an umbrella out of a car window when the car was doing 70mph. This simple analogy helped even the most mechanically inept of them to be able to grasp the magnitude of the forces acting on their chimney in a storm!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In some local authorities it is strictly against planning regulations to have them higher than the ridge/roof line.

Reply to
PeteR

In article , George scribeth thus

There you go the brit attitude to satellite dishes..

Q. "What's that thing hanging on the end of a satellite dish?"

A. " A council house!"...

Bollocks. Depends which side of the road there're on!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Steve brought next idea :

Our Sky analogue dish was located at the front, pointing along the house wall. When the installer came along to install digital, he simply replaced the analogue dish with the digital one - which then lost much of its signal looking up via the eaves of the house. I ended up having to move it around the back, onto the side of a single storey utility room wall, about 8 foot out from the house wall, to get a full signal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There's also another good reason to install a dish on the chimney.....in my case I did it because the little scrotes next door used it for target practice!

Reply to
cerberus

Council house dwellers, the poor people who can't afford other types of worthy entertainment for themselves and their kids. Prime fodder for murdoch to exploit - and money to pay for 'family' subscriptions comes almost straight out of a family's income support budget, after the rent.

Shows how evil murdoch really is...

;-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Sorry you feel that way.... Surely you haven't misunderstood what I wrote!!!

/me shakes head

It was NOT mean't to be a dig at dwellers...

Reply to
Adrian C

Umm.. why?

He has a product/service.

Some people seem to want to buy it and have the money to do so.

That doesn't, of itself, make him evil, neither is there any exploitation.

Nobody is saying to said family that they have to buy a satellite subscription before they receive their handout.

As a taxpayer, I find it irritating that people that I am funding are wasting money on crap. However, that is a government issue for not policing the expenditure by providing the income support in the form of rent and supermarket vouchers as opposed to cash. I would direct my complaints there.

Equally, I don't think that this is a new phenomenon either - it has existed ever since the Idiot's Lantern was invented.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm not a Council house dweller or a tenant of any sort, but on their behalf........you're a self opinionated pile of s**te !

Reply to
cerberus

Some people can choose what they like for daytime entertainment, but these entertainment sources cost varying amounts of effort when other factors such as travel, tickets and dedication of time are taken into consideration. BSkyB's services (and until recently same through cable) are a cheaper alternative to that, and for lower income households a necessary expense (especially if with kids) on top of the rent - such is the power of murdoch marketing. Keeps people inside, and dumbs down the next generation.

The icing on the cake is the type of on-channel advertising that is targetted to BSkyB viewers being mainly of the "loan consolidation" or "cheaper home/car insurance" or "compensation claims". Then there is the er... "programming"... :-(

BSkyB makes an obscene amount of profit on the backs of other peoples misfortunes...

The alternative to BSkyB services is of course the wonderful multi-channel Freeview service. murdoch does not like that, and would much rather Freeview was dismantled, along with the BBC and it's plans for FreeSat. TiVo was also a victim intially marketted exclusively through BSkyB but then abandoned for the inferior but money making Sky+ tradegy.

Competition was meant to bring consumer choice. Choice is a nasty word to murdoch - he wants the playing field to himself. We are all paying.

No, I'm not saying that either.

No, deal with the rat first....

Reply to
Adrian C

What has income got to do with it? Plenty of affluent sattelite dish owners around where I live.

What have kids got to do with it? In most households I know with a Sky sub, it's the Dad's who want it for the sport. Kids are too busy terrorising the local pensioners.

I bet you think they eat tripe as well. You certainly write it.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

"What do you call that little box attached to a satellite dish?"

Reply to
Steve Firth

I can't write anymore without becoming insulting to those that have become attached to this BSkyB junk.

So I won't.

Each to his own...

Reply to
Adrian C