Permeable Block Paving and Frost Heave

Hi all

Re-laying our drive is one of those "thinking about it for now" sort of projects ATM.

Over the holiday, some pavers, making up a pathway at one end of the house, were lifted by the freezing conditions such that they fouled the underneath of the side gate so I couldn't open it. This led me to consider the implications of these permeable blocks and whether they are likely to be subject to similar issues.

It would be soul destroying to pay thousands for a "new" driveway only to have it lift in bad weather.

Anyone any experience of this?

My house is in a natural low point so water will tend to collect beneath the blocks/sub-base rather than disperse.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Any surafce will lift when the moisture underneath it freezes, better that than breaking something. The forces involved from freezing can be huge if there isn't room for the expansion.

Fitted properly it should just drop back when the thaw arrives. Make sure that the lower edges of any fall are firmly stopped from moving otherwise the blocks will "walk" down the slope.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You seen the state of the roads lately? The patching crews are rushed off their feet trying to stop the damage spreading.

Reply to
Skipweasel