permantley remove of raditor and pipes

we are knocking a wall down and need to remove a radiator on ground floor and the pipes which go up the wall through a bedroom into the loft. by reading other messages we believe it to be an open vented system. this is our first what we think is a major diy attempt.

Reply to
spaniel_lover528

Er, you are sure it's not a load-bearing wall, I hope? I'd think of removing a rad and some piping as rather easier than removing a wall.

Reply to
Newshound

all that you need to do is turn off the boiler turn off the water supply to the CH header tank or tie up ball valve drain down the heating system remove the radiator trace the pipes back to where they join the main flow and return pipes, or at some convenient place along the way, cut each pipe off and cap it off with soldered or compression end caps (If you have one of the cheap and nasty 'radiators in series installations' you will need instead to join the pipes together to complete the circuit) turn the header tank water supply back on refill the system and check for leaks bleed the air out of the remaining radiators restart the boiler and check everything again

I'm sure if I have missed anything Ed will be along soon to put me right

Tony

Reply to
TMC

And your question is?

I assume you've satisfied youself either that the wall isn't load bearing or that the load can be supported in some other way - such as by using an RSJ. If you remove a load-bearing wall without taking adequate precautions, plumbing will be the least of your worries!

Reply to
Roger Mills

On 15 Feb 2007 11:00:44 -0800, spaniel snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mused:

OK. Thanks for the warning.