'Permanent on' lighting

I need to put some lights in a short length of passageway in the house. It has no natural light. I was considering LED's wired 'permanently on' as cheaper than using a PIR.

Any suggestions as to fittings and lamps? There are no walls I can use so it has to be ceiling.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Every watt of power used by your lighting costs over a £1 per year now

So a PIR taken off a £6.99 floodlight (LIDL,ALDI from time to time) will save you money pretty quickly. You can still use it to control LED lights for even more savings.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There's a bit of hallway in my house like that. I bought a fitting I liked, and then converted it to take a 10W 2D fluorescent with electronic ballast.

all depends what sort of lighting level you want and the size of the area concerned. The most efficient source is going to be a linear fluorescent and the smallest efficient one is the 14W T5 tube (around 100 lumens/watt) which is about 22" long. I didn't want such a bare tube, so I went for a 2D tube (about 65 lumens/watt) which fitted in the fitting I chose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What's the standby consumption of a PIR?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Gotta be peanuts - a mA or two.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

on 20/09/2011, TheOldFellow supposed :

Bulk head type LED emergency lights.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Honeywell are one of the few suppliers of light switching PIRs who have readily available data sheets. The PIR on its own is around 0.25 Watts.

I investigated some of the dusk to dawn photocell switches recently. These take around 2W on their own.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, but if you use solar powered ones then you can use the output of the lights they control to power the sensor and the power will be for free!

Reply to
ARWadsworth