permanent creases in clothes

Hope this is not too far OT, but it is DIY & is a problem that some contributors to this group may have the knowledge to answer.

Dry cleaners often offer the service of putting permanent creases in trousers. IMHE these last a very long time, surviving many ensuing washes. However the only home crease treatments found in shops so far are starch sprays for use during ironing and resulting creases disappear very quickly (2 days or less).

Hence Q: how can you replicate by DIY the permanent crease produced by dry cleaners?

If it matters the nub of interest is mainly a treatment for cotton material rather than artifical fibres (polyester, terylene, rayon etc).

TIA

Reply to
jim

Usually it's a glue they use. Try PVA!

Reply to
adder1969

Just put them in the washing machine: in my experience most modern clothes are only any good till they go in the washing machine - then they are permanently creased with creases that stay even when the iron is nearly hot enough to melt them!

spamlet

The traditional method is to rub soap along the inside of the crease before ironing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I think it's something like a wax crayon run down the inside of the crease, them soften with an iron. You need something that won't soften with normal washing/ironing.

You could try a very thin strand of "wundaweb". You can also buy trousers with sewn in creases, but these make you look like a delivery driver or police officer.

I use a trouser press.

Starch is for shirts.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Bring back National Service! The technique was taught to newer recruits by more senior recruits - along with warnings of 'Don't let the DI's find you've done this!".

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

My old dad (who was a tailor 'till 1967) used to do that. He also had a socking great heavy tailor's "Goose" (a long, narrow, heavy flat iron, used cold).

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

When I was in the Royal Marine cadets, we had a rather thick cadet who used soap. Far too much.

We went on parade and it rained a lot. Suds....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

and the techniques of using abrasives to clean the inside of rifle barrels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher