Perles Router query

Hi All

I have a Perles OF808E 1/4" router

It is the same as the Trend T5

I have not had need to use it for some time and my memory is not as good as it was

I had a problem with the speed dropping repeatedly whilst working

Stripped it down and cleaned all of the dust out and it worked fine, however when tested with a heavier cut than I would normally use the speed variation returned for a while

I cannot remember if it did this when new (in 1998)

I am guessing that either there is some sort of thermal sensor which cuts the speed when it gets too warm, or that the electronics pack is on the way out

A new electronics pack is still available but is £40 + vat and delivery

Any one advise?

Reply to
TMC

I have a T5, so may be able to offer some comparison. Depends on what you mean by speed dropping. Its a universal motor, and there is no feedback speed control on the T5 - so under load the motor will slow a little. However it should not be significant, and the slowing will only be proportional to load, the same as with most power tools. If you mean yours seems to "step" to a lower speed, then I would suspect a fault with the speed controller.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi

John yes it steps to a lower speed but currently only when I apply excessive load and then only until it has cooled for a few seconds

Before cleaning the router out the speed changes occurred when under no load which led me to suspect the speed controller

Immediately after cleaning there was no slowing when running with no load

I did a plunge test with a 3/4 bit in softwood with problem

I also did a 6mm deep pass with the same bit (normally I would do 3mm deep passes with this diameter of bit) at fairly high feed with no problem

It was only when I exceeded this that the machine slowed and stayed slower for a few seconds after returning to no load running

It then returned to full speed

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Its not a behaviour I have observed with mine, so it does sound like a controller funny. However if its working, I would be tempted to see if a bit of use fixes the problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

thanks for this I was thinking along the same lines and as a new router of same type is over 200ukp a new controller is not the end of the world

Regards

Reply to
TMC