Perforated or plain copper strip?

Does anyone know a source of perforated copper strip, like the Screwfix "galvanized band"

only in copper?

I have a short length in the junk-box (so it does, or did, exist) but now need a few metres of it.

Alternatively, does anyone know a source of plain copper strip, maybe

15-25mm wide and 1-2mm thick?
Reply to
Ian White

Any decent electrical wholesalers will have it

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

Try a supplier in Lighting conductor earthling strip

Reply to
keith_765

Is it for deterring slugs?

if so and you're not bothered what it looks like, get some small bore copper tubing from the plumbers merchants and hammer it flat, slugs won't go near it.....if it's not for slugs, please disregard this post.

Reply to
Phil L

I would worry if a lighting conductor was only 1 to 2 mm thick

Reply to
Mr Fixit

iirc screwfix do copper slate fixing tingles.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks, those could be a fallback, though I'd prefer not to have to drill and join 150mm strips end-to-end.

Reply to
Ian White

Under what name? It doesn't seem to be in any web catalogues, and the nearest walk-in electrical wholesaler (decent or otherwise) is 60 miles away.

Reply to
Ian White

No, it isn't... though it does look like an interesting method of corralling them.

Reply to
Ian White

You can order coils of copper strip in whatever width and thickness you want from many metal stockholders. They will also cut standard flat sheets (usually 4' x 2') into strips for you. Whether that is an economic proposition is, however, something only you can decide.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Bus bar is what you're looking for, used in electrical distribution systems. Or lighNing conductor....

Reply to
Phil

Lightening conductor is not perforated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

1-2mm thick?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1/8" dammit! Since when did Usenet go metric?
Reply to
Phil

Quote Alternatively, does anyone know a source of plain copper strip, maybe 15-25mm wide and 1-2mm thick?

That's what I read !!

Reply to
keith_765

It's only as thick as it is for the sake of mechanical robustness. From an electrical point of view it could be very much thinner and still withstand direct hits. This point is nicely made in BS 6651, where it is stated that a 100 kA strike will only raise the temperature of standard 25 x 3 mm down conductor by about one degree.

Reply to
Andy Wade

The last time I repaired a heavy slate roof, slates of 3/8th'' thick, ordinary tingles or copper straps were not strong enough. I had to go to the lighting conductor contractors for the same copper material as is being asked for by the original poster Ian White. They sell it by the mtr in various thickness and widths. Some of the thinner copper banding is used for stitching damp proofing in stone house walls and the thicker for buzz bars on traversing over head cranes.

Reply to
keith_765

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "keith_765" saying something like:

Not a pretty sight, earthlings stripped.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon