Penetrating damp, silicone or paint?

Just moved horsies to a new stable. It's single skin 4 inch blockwork, not rendered, and in the driving rain a lot of damp is coming through on the courses and some of the blocks. Relative merits of silicone and masonry paint? I have a compressor so could spray given that it's about 80 square metres.

Reply to
OldScrawn

We've used textured masonry paint for this exact same application (well, the hay shed - the stables will get done later in the year), and it does a pretty good job.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks, that was my first thought too; but someone on uk.rec.equestrian recommends Thompsons Water Seal, which I have never used before. Decisions decisions.....

Reply to
OldScrawn

theyre 2 different things. A clear waterproofer looks way better than paint in most cases. And it doesnt need regular repainting.

The cause of the problem may be poor mortar, if so repointing is the best solution. 4" walls are very weak when the mortar is unsound.

There can sometimes be problems with applying waterproofers, particularly to walls with no DPC. It leaves them far less ability to dry out, thus mould can occur. If this happens, injecting a DPC is oten effective, and using only breathable paint etc on the interior may work too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It's *definitely* penetrating damp from driven rain on the outside (fairly exposed spot). I was only planning to treat the outside, when it's dry, so drying out should not be an issue.

Reply to
OldScrawn