Pedulum action jigsaw, what does it mean/do?

A rather naive question but I can't work it out. What does 'pendulum action' do for one in a jigsaw? My latest jigsaw has switchable pendulum action but I really can't tell much difference with it on or off (maybe it's a crap jigsaw).

Reply to
usenet

Moves the blade away from the cut on the down (non-cutting) stroke. The result is less heat and less effort pushing the saw. Without pendulum a lot of your effort goes into pushing the saw forward on it's non-cutting stroke, and you get a lot of unnecessary heat.

I find it particularly useful when cutting 3/4" wbp. You won't notice the difference on soft things linke 1/2" mdf etc.

Reply to
Grunff

On mine, it makes it cut faster and with less effort when on a straight line.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There should be a vast difference when cutting something like say 3/4" chipboard - it will be much faster but less accurate with the pendulum action on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hi Chris, the pendulum action pushes the blade forward on the cutting stroke. You may see a fork carrying a TCT (or monkey metal!) blade guide roller behind the blade when fitted. This guide wheel pushes the blade when pendulum action is on. If you don't notice much difference, maybe it's more of a wobble action than pendulum!

The advantages of pendulum action are:

Cutting speed increased; blade life extended; may get a more accurate cut.

Disadvantages include:

Not good for tight curves; may get a less accurate cut; possible increase in splintering; more stress on tool.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

I rarely cut anything that heavy with the jigsaw as I have a Skil Classic circular saw that does all that sort of work. I only use the jigsaw for non-straight cuts and/or when opening out blind holes (e.g. putting dry-line boxes in plasterboard). So that's probably why I haven't noticed any difference.

Why call it 'pendulum' action though, it doesn't seem very descriptive.

Reply to
usenet

The blade swings backwards and forwards, like, er, a pendulum....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Andy has one and uses it all day long, for the hell of it.

Reply to
IMM

Are "pendulum" and "orbital" actions the same thing? And what is a "Scrolling" action?

Reply to
Jim White