PDF copy protected files - how to convert to txt

I have some pdf files that I want to pull into excel but they have the copy feature disabled so all I can do is save or print them. Does anyone know of software that can extract the data? Preferably shareware or freeware of course.

I'm loathe to try printing and ocr as that takes ages to proof read and correct.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Have a look at

Reply to
Grunff

You might do better posting to one of the computer groups, such as alt. computer. I've found them helpful in the past.

Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

You could try Ghostview (GSView) and GhostScript...Google for more..

Reply to
Bob Eager

That looked promising until I saw this in their FAQ

"PDF documents can be password protected by their authors to prevent unwanted editing of their content. TEXTfromPDF honors this and therefore does not provide a way around this protection. You will not be able to extract these documents without providing the password(s) in the Password window of TEXTfromPDF. You should contact the author of the document to obtain their permission and password(s)."

Thanks anyway

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Will try, but I have yet to find a more helpful group than this one ;-)

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I tried to instal those once before but got hopelessly lost with what version to use and which bits to install or leave out. Is there an easy way for XP or W2000?

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I've successfully used this - I think if you install the current Ghostscript on XP it installs ghostview as well so is easier than it used to be.

Also allows you to export graphics from any application that prints - install the printer "MS color publisher" which prints to a postscript file.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

If you have lost your password to the PDF files, there are various programs available for a small charge which claim to be able to unlock any PDF.

Alternatively, if they are not your pdf's, can you ask the source of the PDF to provide you with the text?

Reply to
Ragworm The Abominable

When you say the 'copy feature' is disabled, do you mean you can't even enter the doc, select text and copy it? (that being a route I've used myself in the past).

David

Reply to
Lobster

Try printing to a (non-Adobe) PDF Printer driver - this may get you an unprotected PDF.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Exactly that

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

You mean and saving it to another (pdf) file?

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thanks - I'll try again. This is the site I am using

The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Can you print to file?

Reply to
Geoffrey

Where do you get the printer driver "MS color publisher" from?

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Presumably, if I install the Print to File driver. What then?

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Sorry, can't help - don't use Windows!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is it possible you can post links to the files so we can try out ideas on them before suggesting use X, Y & Z to you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Try again, its not rocket science.

Reply to