PC problem

In message , Clint Sharp writes

I was specifically referring to his problem - some one "bet" that was what HIS problem was, I bet that it wasn't

OK - just as soon as I've finished my diet (a month so far since I had a beer, almost a stone lost ! ... five to go)

Reply to
geoff

I've cut back (still enjoy a pint!) after discovering I'd put on two stone in the last two years, most, I think over last christmas. I'm hardly noticing the diet, and have already (in a fortnight) lost a quarter of my target.

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Eighteen 'kin stone

That's what comes of spending evenings in UK.d-i-y with half a dozen cans / night

"The road is Loooong, ..."

Summer will be here before I have another pint

Reply to
geoff

Thanks for the offer. I haven't yet eliminated the simple things like removing all non essential hardware - of which there's a lot. But if I get stuck I'll hold you to that. ;-)

Yup. Of course it's been rock solid since I first posted. Left it on for

24 hours too.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is slightly less usual than one that reboots at random. The dodgy cap problem I have seen many times - but this is often a random reboot cause.

Overheating processor is often a reboot or more likely a lockup or blue screen.

Dodgy reset circuitry is a possibility - but only slim.

I would suggest downloading a copy of the "ultimate boot CD" iso image and booting from that. Then leave memtest 86 running for a good few hours and see what happens.

If that is ok then grab a copy of Prime95, and leave it running the torture test - that is very good at shaking out subtle memory and processor timing issues and faults.

Check your power saving options as well - make sure you have not got some unusual trigger set up for powering the machine off.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ditto here - possibly even more now, but the missus decided she'd feel better throwing the scales away !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I'm rationing to one a night. Hoever, I've overdone it tonight, and had two. As long as I stop now I'll not put on weight. Anymore and I'll need a job as a hod carrier on a multi storey block!

Reply to
<me9

Something I've just found out about AVG Free Edition. My pc used to report a Commit Charge (memory being used basically) in Task Manager of about 133mb after a clean reboot and would go back down to that if I closed all open applications. I noticed the other day that it was running at nearly twice that but with nothing apparent to account for it in the Processes section of Task Manager. I'd recently installed AVG after picking up a virus and that turned out to be the culprit. Even with it shut down there was over 100mb of something or other memory resident. I uninstalled it and things are back to normal. In future I'll just install it for the occasional disk check and then take it out again or try something else. Most viruses I pick up I can deal with manually anyway by hunting them down and deleting the files and registry entries. I actually quite enjoy that rather than letting a prog do it. AVG didn't fully deal with what I'd picked up anyway. The virus had created a couple of hidden directory entries starting with a ? and I had to remove those in safe mode after AVG missed them.

My old machine only has 512mb installed so this extra 100mb was causing it to max out a lot faster with other apps running and start using pagefile which then drastically slows things down. Might be part of your problem too if you have a dodgy memory stick which would be getting fully utilised faster.

Reply to
Dave Baker