PC backups

Page 2 of 4

What is the price a storage capacity of a stand alone with USB cxn DVD writer?

The Sony DRX-510UL External DVD/-RW drive comes in at about 250 inc vat. Requires either firewire or USB 2.0 for connecting to your pc. 32x CD read, 24x CD write, 16x CD rewrite, 12x DVD read, 4x DVD write, 2x DVD-RW rewrite, 4x DVD+RW rewrite. Capacity is 4.7Gb.
hth Clive

though of is the problem of viruses, which you often don't know you have until it's too late. Thus your last back up might be infected, wheras if you have e.g. discrete weekly backups, the chances of you being able to restore an uninfected version are better.
TBH, you only really want to back up your data files, and re-install programs (which you can also copy onto a DVD)
--
raden

Use XP's backup. Then use WinZip on the output from XP's backup (which in my case reduces the size by about 50%). Then use WinZip again to split the ZIP file into 650MB chucks (this is one of the standard options).
Rob

How extraordinarily painful.
Buy a decent tape drive from eBay. Use any of about a zillion backup utilities to copy the whole disk onto tape. (I can't advise on Winblows stuff, since I'm entirely Unix based here, apart from the wife's NT PC, which uses a Sun as it's server.)
The moment you have more than one computer, network them all, start using one as a server, keep all your files on that one and attach the tape drive to it.
Back up as often as you like (at least weekly) and keep the latest tapes "off site" (I take them to work.)
Backing up:
Beware of virus problems. A 2nd HDD in your machine gives zero protection to your data if a virus gets it. Many viri can be removed, some can't.
When you back up off the machine, again if you get a virus then backup, and thats the only backup you have, youre stuffed. So always keep 2 generations of backups, with the older one being say 2 weeks old, not 2 days. That gives you enough time to spot any heavy handed viri, and still have good clean data.
Regards, NT
On 6 Oct 2003 12:25:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Anyone who runs a PC these days would be silly to not have up to date AV software running at all times.

The vast majority of people aren't that organised, nor should they be in reality. Reason being that worst case you can vapourise your PCs hard disk and re-install everything from scratch.
PoP
(N. Thornton) wrote:

Firstly thats not true, secondly it doesnt solve the problem.
I dont run AV 24/7 because it causes problems: just do a scan periodically, and when accepting files.
As for imagining an AV product makes you immune to viri, erm, no. Not only are they not that effective, but Av products sometimes even _give_ you viri.

everything except your year's data, sure.
Regards, NT
On 8 Oct 2003 11:21:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

It would be true if he only used his PC for something like games where the stored data is small and could be lost without much heartache.
phil
On 8 Oct 2003 11:21:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

I can't quite believe how many PC experts we seem to have on this forum. Little wonder Joe Public feels he gets such a raw deal when he's talking to someone who is PC literate - there are as many (if not more) opinions as the number of people you speak to.
PoP
(N. Thornton) wrote:

This is because there is so many ways to backup. There are cheap ways and expensive ways. Some are more complex, some easy, some comprehensive, some not. Take your choice.

PoP wrote:

That's the nice thing about this industry - if you don't like one of the suggested "standards" just wait a moment and there will be another half dozen come along!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:19:36 +0100, John Rumm

:)
Well, it is supposed to be the DIY forum! Now if we had as many different ways of putting a light switch on a wall I think we'd end up with a myriad of designs!
PoP
You need a "differential" backup then.
Look at some form of "off-line" media such as tape or DVD-R as both machine's discs could be taken out by a powercut/lightning strike etc - It's happened to me. I use DDS-3 DAT tapes to backup data, which I find as long as I don't keep re-using old tapes more than about 10 times is fine. Each tape holds 12GB native / 24 GB compressed (realisticly about 16-18GB each). Plenty of backup applications out there, or windows own is OK. DVD is very cheap now and has loads of other uses also, and you can get 4.7GB per disc costing about 80p, or about 3 for a DVD-RW disc. You can get a writer for under 100 at ebuyer.com.
Alan.

This only covers the situation when you have a disk failure or similar. It does not help in the event of total loss, such as fire or theft.
Christian.
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:28:57 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

If you read my complete post you will notice that I did advise that you can send the backup to writeable CDs.....it's a bit slower and you have to change the CD when requested, but it works fine.
Possibly the better option with that approach might be to write the backup to the hard disk in 650Mb chunks - this means the files are created automatically without having to change CDs, and then once the backup is finished you can store elsewhere.
Don't forget that some online services allow you to store your backups on their servers, and will provide a CD copy on request if you happen to lose everything. When I looked at that option a while back it was relatively expensive so I didn't go down that route, but it is an option if your PC is mission critical to a business.
PoP
On 6 Oct 2003 06:14:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David) wrote:

A second machine or a second HD would be advisable. Try http://www.webattack.com/get/taskzip.html To go with it.
-- Alan G "The corporate life [of society] must be subservient to the lives of the parts instead of the lives of the parts being subservient to the corporate life." (Herbert Spencer)
although i simply use nero and cdr's and back up every week(i download often) Jeff :-)
I backup weekly to an external HD - 120 gb in a Belkin housing - a complete partition image. This should allow me to simply plug this into a different computer if need be.
I also back up "My Documents" and other critical system files to 2 DVD-RW's - the same data to 2 different disks.
I also back up live documents to CD-RW or DVD RW or may store a copy of the file on an email server temporarary.
It is important to make at least 2 copies of the data, and store these in different locations - together with copies of emergency boot disk.
I use PowerQuest drive image, but am trialing Vertitas Backup and the Norton product.
Archival files and photos I am transfering to DVD, after reading some concerns on the life of CD-R media
dg

As a point of interest have you ever tried to restore from PowerQuest? I wondered what your experience was?
I have PowerQuest here, also Norton Ghost, and more recently Acronis TrueImage. I've used them all so can make comparisons.
I liked PowerQuests user interface which was quite neat. However I once had to try and restore from the PowerQuest backups (which were on CD). Backup was great - restore was absolute pants.
I had 5 CDs as I recall. The restore operation began with asking me to insert disk 1, then disk 5, then back to disk 1 - or something like that. And then proceeded to write back to hard disk at a ridiculously low rate of transfer that meant I'd still have been restoring this time next Christmas. Quite unbelievable.
Norton Ghost is brilliant by comparison. Shoddy user interface but if you drive it from the command line it is great. Restores dumps at a good speed - same for TrueImage.
PowerQuest have just been bought by Symantec by the way - so Symantec now own the rights to Norton Ghost and PowerQuest DriveImage:
http://www.theregister.com/content/55/32994.html
PoP