Paving Slabs

Can anyone tell me what the standard size is for a paving slab and a rough cost per slab for a basic concrete type?

I need to lay a base in preparation for an 8'x6' garden shed and am trying to get an idea of how many slabs I'll need and their cost as well as the building sand etc.

TIA

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorl

The standard size for a paving slab is directly proportional to the proverbial length of a piece of string. Cost is also very similar. Seriously slabs come in a wide variety of standard sizes 300x300, 450x450,

600x600 plus many many more go to a buildersmerchant, garden centre and see what they have got plus price etc
Reply to
Mike Taylor

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld used his keyboard to write :

IMHO it is better to set huts and similar up off the ground to help prevent rot, even if you lay a concrete base. Why not simply put down brick piers for it to sit on? Much cheaper than slabs too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

when we eventually get around to buying a shed, we were planning on putting it on a couple of paving slabs at each corner (we have a fair few available after lifting the patio last year) - would that give enough height off the ground? (and is it best to fill the space between the slabs underneath the shed with gravel?)

on 06/03/2004, a supposed :

I would simply aim for having the joists of the hut floor raised above the ground level, such that there is no likleyhood of any contact with the ground, nor any chance of contact with wet slabs or concrete and plenty of air flow under it.

Sat directly on slabs or a concrete base, I would be concerned that the rain would fall on the concrete and perhaps be funnelled through onto the joists.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Indeed.

For our shed I bedded some half concrete blocks into dry sand and cement (lying flat not upright) laid treated fence posts across those and then put the shed onto those. (one reason was to get enough height as the ground sloped a bit.. Alos it needed a lot less block and levelling etc.

Note that the joists on sheds aren't that thick and need plenty of support as well, each corner won't do.

No there is no need to cover the ground with anything. Nothing is going to grow it's to dark

Reply to
chris French

In message , Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld writes

You can get basic 400, or 450 mm Sq. flags from a Shed for about a quid. They tend to be a bit on a thin side (often about 32mm) but ok for a shed base. Alternatively the next size up for basic slabs is usually 600 mm sq. usually a bit thicker as well.

If you go to a BM or some bigger sheds you will get BS flags - these are the basic grey sort used for pavements etc. typical size is 600x900 but there are others. Beware though, they are 50mm thick and much stronger and bloody heavy - difficult to lay if you aren't used to them - and really uncessary.

As has been said, having the shed rest direct on these though might not be a good idea. I prefer my blocks and beams technique

is an excellent site for all things paving related.

Reply to
chris French

A layer of DPC/felt underneath will prevent rot from setting in. Maybe consider partially buried railway sleepers for a base?

Regards Robin

Reply to
Robin Soper