Paving bricks - white deposits

Some of the bricks in my recently paved drive have unsightly patches of white appearing on them. Is this salt or some such? What makes it appear? Can anyone recommend how best to remove it please? I tried simply sponging and scouring a few with cold water, but I can see no difference now that patch has dried.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

It's brick efflorescence see;

Cerberus .

Another take on it:

John Rumm

pressure washh it, or simply leave it for a year or so.

The rain will eventually wash it off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks all, very helpful.