Paving advice

Hi Group

I have a small dug garden area with a crazy paved path across it, which shows no sign of cracking or upheaval.

I want to pave over the entire area, including where the path is, with new paving slabs, 600x 300 size.

It will save a lot of work if I leave the path well alone, and make a hard core layer on the garden around the path, and to the same level, and then lay new slabs across the lot.

Is there a problem with laying new paving directly onto the old existing path?

I anticipate using the method of a dollop of concrete under each corner of the new slabs. the new area will only be for human use - not to have heavy motors on it, for example.

any advice appreciated

Ian

Reply to
Ian Hooksem

In my experiene the problem is the garden, which will lilkley sink more then the old path next to it.

When we did my mums, we had to lift it a few years later, and relay where the garden had been as it had sunk.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

thanks Rick. Moral of the story being, I should not cut corners!

Reply to
Ian Hooksem

Have a look at this webite - lots of good advice.

Biff

By all means lay over eh existing, but as he says, watch out for the new bit.

I simply filled the area with hard-core and left it a year, that, followed by a rough gravel to level it and laying on a wet bed of sand and cement seems to be stable as anything..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher