Pattress conversion

Could you just buy screws that fit, and ditch the supplied ones?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If the switches are that old there is a good chance the wiring is too.

Are the cables to the switches rubber insulated or PVC?

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Perhaps they're at the wrong spacing.

Reply to
Guy King

Is the spacing correct? If so they'll be BA rather than metric.

But surely using some form of spacer is going to look truly awful?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know the answer, but if the wiring also dates back to the 30's, it almost certainly needs replacing. In this case, replace the lot, pattress boxes and all.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I am looking at changing light switches that date back to the 1930

these fit to a cast pattress box and dont have the standard scre fittings to fit a modern switch . Does anybody know if there a adapter plate that can be fitted to accept the new switches because do not want to have to dig all the boxes out to replace them

-- nash

Reply to
nash

What spacing are the screws holding the old switch on to the pattress?

You might be able to use a shallow surface-mount pattress with the new switch to save redecorating, but all those cast boxes are going to have to be *earthed* so if they don't have an earth terminal in you'll have to rip them out anyway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Any major electrical wholesaler sells adaptors for about a quid

-- dtechy

Reply to
dtechy

Thanks for all the suggestions. The wiring is ALL original includin fusebox and socket wiring (round pin sockets) and will be ripped ou but the conduit and light switch boxes I would rather leave.

Cables are either VIR cloth covered or some "modern" lead covere including the telephone cable.

There are no screws on the switch face and I heard of an adaptor tha fits in the box so does'nt look too bad.

dtechy

I have looked on various web sites for the adaptor before posting thi here but couldn't find any.

What are they called and is there a supplier I could look at.

thanks...

-- nash

Reply to
nash

No screws at all on the switch face

-- nash

Reply to
nash

Google electrical wholesalers in "your town/city" and find the on nearest to you. I think the're called switch plate converters

-- dtechy

Reply to
dtechy

Would you like to keep the 30s light switches, since they can be converted to safe working? Sure would add character to the house. Its done by fitting a miniature transformer and relay in the wall, so the switch switches 6v and the relay switches the mains. It could be mounted behind the switch.

Would you be wiling to post me the round pin sockets & plugs for use in Africa? I'd email but google chops e addresses now. Mines not valid, but can provide one if necessary.

If perchance the old socket system looks good and you wanted to keep it, you could always feed the fusebox with 12v instead of mains, then you've got the option to use 12v lamps on the original system if wanted. No need to change any of the old wiring or upgrade anything, just check the sockets dont get hot and youre done. Saves removing it all too.

And if you wanted the complete period electrics look, new double insulated twisted cotton covered wire is available, I forget where I got it from but it exists, and could be used on any pendants lights, with brass bulbholders. Would certainly help to ensure its a character property.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had tried searching for various combinations of switch plat converters.

Have now found out tha MK manufacture one typ

I can adapt it to suit.

Thanks for the comments ......

-- nash

Reply to
nash

Wood now unacceptable - it's not fireproof.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not all the boxes as steel. Some are wood . Are these still OK if th

switch and the conduit are earthed

-- nash

Reply to
nash

You really really really should stop p***ing about and do the job properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)