patronising digital advert

My school chemistry teacher!

Also,

composition of coal gas varied according to the type of coal and the temperature of carbonisation. Typical figures were:

hydrogen 50% methane 35% carbon monoxide 10% ethylene 5% =======================================

It's not entirely clear whether that just refers to the products of "destructive distillation", or whether it includes the water gas and producer gas added afterwards. I think that most people would have referred to the whole lot as "coal gas" or "town gas".

Reply to
Max Demian

Did you believe it at the time?

Reply to
Max Demian

Correct.

Oxygen is transported around the body by haemoglobin in the blood stream.

Carbon monoxide binds more readily and more tightly to haemoglobin than oxygen so that at sufficient levels, though very much lower than needed for asphyxiation alone with other gases, the body is deprived of oxygen and dies.

From

QUOTE

Carbon monoxide (CO) binds to haemoglobin with a higher affinity (200x greater) than oxygen, and at the same binding site.

Consequently, carbon monoxide will bind haemoglobin preferentially over oxygen when both are present in the lungs - even small amounts of carbon monoxide can dramatically reduce the ability of haemoglobin to transport oxygen.

Levels as low as 0.02% carbon monoxide can cause headaches and nausea, while a concentration of 0.1% can lead to unconsciousness.

People who smoke heavily can block up to 20% of the oxygen binding sites in haemoglobin with carbon monoxide

By contrast, carbon dioxide (CO2), which is produced as a waste product after aerobic respiration, binds to haemoglobin at a different site, therefore does not compete with oxygen for binding to haemoglobin.

UNQUOTE

Reply to
J G Miller

No. Kids tend to be quite aware it's All Fools day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember james saying something like:

CD? Move with the times, Daddy-O.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer saying something like:

One great advantage of middle-aged hearing loss is the fortune I save on not needing real HiFi :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Oh dear. A flaktoid! I'm not one for getting into willy-waving contests but I do have a Creative Zen with a 20 gig capacity that's seemingly on permanent loan to my wife.

JF

Reply to
james

What's a flaktoid? Something to do with lossless compression?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's the muscle whose failure prevents you from doing something you don't want to do.

Reply to
Max Demian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Max Demian" saying something like:

Crap shot. Try again and this time get it right.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , "dennis@home" writes: []

It can be; whether any given mp3 encoding actually is poor is a matter of judgement, influenced by the source material and the sample rate and bit rate chosen. IMO mp3 can be far better than poor.

(Incidentally, I have one mp3 coded at 8k which IMO is more than acceptable, but that's a special case: it's a short section of alpine horn playing.)

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Poor you;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

'Cos they've already retired off all of the old duffers at the Beeb ?

HTH

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Well said. The top-posting police are the saddest bastards on usenet.

Reply to
Bob Martin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer saying something like:

It's at an optimum point - M/A loss is inevitable so I live with it. I can still enjoy good recordings and hate shit singers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Well mine has been quite flat to 14.5 odd kHz with none of the usual 3 odd K dip but then again I didn't like sticking my head in the bins at rock concerts.

And no I can't say I'm, fond of shit singers either;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Mine is good to 14 kHz too - not bad considering my age. But I find difficultly following a conversation in a noisy pub etc so my brain is failing instead. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Comes to us all mate;!, still some beverages are better then others at that. Won't believe what I did once in Yorkshire after a few pints of Theakstons olds Peculier;!.. If thats how its spelt;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've *always* has problems with hearing against any sort of background noise. If a group of us are walking down the street and a bus goes past, I'll usually be the first to ask someone to repeat what they were saying. I could tune a guitar perfectly in a quiet room, when I could hear all the overtones, but really struggled in a noisy gig. As for pubs, it's particularly bad when everyone is standing up, because then the conversation is taking place at the level of my chest.

Old Peculiar? Wonderful beer, associated most particularly with a camping holiday in the Lakes with the beautiful C. Happy days.

Now, however, I can't even drink or eat anything without snorting and coughing and spluttering. I think I've become allergic to life.

Please always reply to news group as the email address in this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the contact addresses at:

Java Jive