patio edging

Getting ready to sort out the patio. I have read the paving expert site (several times over the years !). The slabs will are decent moulded ones, 45mm thick in various sizes. Part of the patio will be bordered by a wall. The issue is how to edge the other parts, (A) where the patio meets the lawn (laid horizontal) and (B) where the patio borders next door (laid to a fall).

Regarding style, what I don't like is the "line of concrete" style edging slabs on edge that would look awful between the patio and the lawn.

Edge A will be on the same level as the lawn and adjoining path.

Edge B is up to 4" higher than next door so it needs some way of constraining the slabs.

For ease, I'll probably do both edges the same way. I have dug the whole area down 6" for 3" of MOT and 3" for bedding and slab, so I need something to constrain the MOT and lean mix cement/sand bedding at the edges - the lawn part will be back-filled later.

My options are:

  1. A (very) low brick wall with the slabs laid over the top of this wall and mortared down with stronger mortar to the wall.
  2. A brick wall - maybe cobble style bricks - to be laid level with the patio and remain visible, with the patio laid inside.

With option (1), I wondered whether differential settlement between the different types of bedding could result in the slabs cracking at the wall. I suppose this is unlikely with just foot traffic, but large planters could be an issue. But I think a borderless patio might look good.

For edge A, laid to a fall, I have to decide whether to lay the foundation to a fall, or horizontal and pack out the bottom row - not sure what is usually done in this situation.

Can anyone offer any useful advise before I get cracking ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I laid mine to a fall from house to lawn. Brick edge all round. The gap between patio and lawn acts as a gutter and is filled with 20mm gravel topped with slate chippings.

mark

Reply to
mark

I was thinking of laying that way, but in the end it is more practical in m y case to fall towards the house with a linear drain at the house. The avoi ds a step at the existing lawn and path (so as not to trip up the toddler ! ). I can see advantages to both methods. Anyway, the brick edges of the patio look good. Did you lay them on a found ation and then fill in the patio or do it some other way ? Also, are the bricks particularly frost resistant ones ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I was thinking of laying that way, but in the end it is more practical in my case to fall towards the house with a linear drain at the house. The avoids a step at the existing lawn and path (so as not to trip up the toddler !). I can see advantages to both methods. Anyway, the brick edges of the patio look good. Did you lay them on a foundation and then fill in the patio or do it some other way ? Also, are the bricks particularly frost resistant ones ?

Simon.

Bricks are solid engineering. They were put down as a curb with cement/concrete. Slabs are on a 3" slightly damp bed of sand mixed with cement. About 12:1. Sets like stiff sand but is easy to manage during slab laying. Pointed with white cement/sand

Slabs are 450mm. I did them in panels of 9 (3 by 3) with eng. bricks in between just to give a bit of design. Also did paths with same brick edge on both sides and bricks across every 3 slabs, so that the path matches patio.

mark

Reply to
mark