patio drainage

I'm nearly ready to start on the patio (approx 6m x 4m), but not decided on drainage yet. The patio will be laid with a slope towards the house rear wall. There is a gully at each end of the wall. Options are:

  1. Natural drainage towards the gullies, using the house rear wall (blue engineering bricks) to guide the water. There are no air-bricks to worry about.

  1. Some type of open drainage channel

  2. A closed drainage channel - ACO type (looks horrible), slot drain (hard to clean out)

Any major problems with (1) ? I mean most of the older houses I visit are like this.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Don't they (hard surfaces) have to be pourous now?

Reply to
zaax

Not if they drain back onto the owner's land and eventually go into the ground.

The idea is that the water should not be going down the public drains.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Planning permission to drain into the drains.

Reply to
dennis

ISTR that you require permission from the water company to put rainwater into the foul water drains (since they are the ones who maintain them and charge for them).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

My water bill says "including surface drainage".

I would view that as implied permission.

Reply to
Tim Watts