Patio door unable to open

Patio door handle just goes round and round when trying to open.

The door type is upvc.. the kind where if you turn handle halfway, only the top of the door opens inwards .. turn handle all the way down and all catches are released and door moves inwards and then you can slide open. I removed handle and the "bar" that goes into the opening mechanism. Looks normal.

Is there a way to open the door now? There are two hex shaped thingmebobs at the base of the door ... will they release the catches?

If I manage to get the thing open .. how much of the mechanism will need replacing.

Loking on the bright side .. I am pleased it jammed shut in this weather :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago, only my locking mechanism failed whilst closing, thus couldn't secure the door. This was a tilt and slide door. So he pushed the door into position, and then inserted a screwdriver in between the door and the surround, to hammer the locking bolts into place. He was to come back with parts to fix, but he couldn't source any - and no one else could either. I then read my household insurance - which I recommend you do - which covered accidental damage to locks on external doors - so got the Insurance company involved, who ended up replacing the patio doors.

Best of luck Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

.. >Mike P wrote: .. >> Patio door handle just goes round and round when trying to open. .. >> .. >> The door type is upvc.. the kind where if you turn handle halfway, .. >> only the top of the door opens inwards .. turn handle all the way down .. >> and all catches are released and door moves inwards and then you can .. >> slide open. .. >> I removed handle and the "bar" that goes into the opening mechanism. .. >> Looks normal. .. >> .. >> Is there a way to open the door now? There are two hex shaped .. >> thingmebobs at the base of the door ... will they release the catches? .. >> .. >> If I manage to get the thing open .. how much of the mechanism will .. >> need replacing. .. >> .. >> Loking on the bright side .. I am pleased it jammed shut in this .. >> weather :-) .. >> .. >> Mike P .. >Had a similar problem a couple of years ago, only my locking mechanism .. >failed whilst closing, thus couldn't secure the door. This was a tilt .. >and slide door. So he pushed the door into position, and then inserted .. >a screwdriver in between the door and the surround, to hammer the .. >locking bolts into place. He was to come back with parts to fix, but he .. >couldn't source any - and no one else could either. I then read my .. >household insurance - which I recommend you do - which covered .. >accidental damage to locks on external doors - so got the Insurance .. >company involved, who ended up replacing the patio doors. .. >

.. >Best of luck .. >Paul R

I just managed to lock it before it failed.

Insurance company sounds a very good option. Thanks

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P