Patio door lock woes

Ok, the barrel of my patio door lock decided to explode on the back door in a shower of small pins and springs.

Being the keen DIY'er that I am, I though, 'how difficult can it be' ?

AAgghh

Right, for anyone in the know it's a "Adams Rite" lock, and looks to me to be a '4036 screw in cylinder'

Markings on the lock mechanism are on one side

3 80 1 1/8 and the other 4 80 1 1/8

so a few questions

1) Does anyone have an old (70's 80's from the look of things) aluminuim patio door with a couple of these on ?

2) Or a source of cheap spares

3) Or exactly how the lock barrel actuates the lock mechanism, I can't for the life of me see how it does it, as the barrel end doesn't engage the slot in the lock actuator, and there's no pins etc that I can see to move it ?

4) A possible complete replacement

5) Or if there's a decent locksmith in the North Hampshire area ;-)

I've got secondary locks on the door, but they're not all that, so i've got a bit of grace period, but not much. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

s--p--o--n--i--x

Thanks, the 2nd URL shows some cheaper replacements.

but this

Could do with an explanation, as even if I buy new cylinders, I don't see how they'll work !

Unless something vital has pinged out .. but I was very careful when dismantling ..

I suspect someone bodged the lock by leaving one of the securing screws for the barrel proud, which has eventually snapped off, so there may be something missing.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com writes

There's quite a bit of data on the Adams Rite site(s),

or
cylinder data is here:
2 shows a little cam screwed to the back of the cyl, is that still there? That turning should actuate the lock.

Reply to
fred

Very suitable, in the circumstances.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If it's an Adams Rite it will probably be two seperate screwed cylinders the same as on many aluminium shop doors though I've yet to see one on a domestic door. Do they have a small cam on the inside face that activates a hook bolt that catches in the door frame?. Very easily removed & replaced also manufactured by many other brands, Yale Union Evva etc. Having said all that, there are many variations in Adams Rite locks, same as Yales etc. Regards.

Reply to
Ron Ireland