Patchy paint on ceiling

I've been having trouble trying to get a good paint finish on the ceilings in our new extension. The ceilings are boarded and skimmed, I left them to go bone dry and painted them with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt white emulsion using a good quality roller. The first coat was diluted slightly. However, I've given it 5 (yes five) coats and the "patchiness" is still clearly visible. It's not that you can see the plaster beneath, you can just tell where the roller's been. I've treid going crossways, lengthways, and in random directions. It's getting worse each time!

Anyone got any tips?

Reply to
keiron99

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

It may be that you're seeing the texture of the paint, not something showing through. Try a different texture roller or a brush.

Reply to
Guy King

Foam roller or shaggy? If foam get a shaggy one. If shaggy, dunno. Drying too fast coz it's 'ot?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

This is driving me nuts! Maybe I set my standards too high. It gets worse with each subsequent coat (I've been using a medium pile high quality roller).

I've now tried putting it on with a brush. I think it may be a bit better (it's been cloudy for a couple of days so the light isn't so good). However, the paint dries so quickly that it drags and tears, leaving textured piles here and there. If I were to dilute the paint a little, or even quite a lot, and slosh it on with a brush, would this help or make matters worse?

Reply to
keiron99

I don't know matey. I did paint a couple of newly boarded ceilings recently; the first coat was 50/50 paint/water, i.e. very thin, and then I went over it three times, I think, but it wasn't particularly good paint.

I wonder if the problem you're having is common in hot weather?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot