Patching plaster vs Polyfilla

I note that patching plaster costs a lot less tham polyfilla etc.

For the purpose of filling dips and dents in plastered walls, prior to sanding flat and painting, is there any practical difference between the two products? I ask because pp is much cheaper tha pf, usually.

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

I used to use Polyfilla an awful lot. But it is so expensive when doing big areas. I've been using powder filler lately, which is cheap, really easy to shape, and simple to mix to different consistencies for the task in hand. Only downside is that it's very dusty until painted. But that dustiness does lend itself to simple 'rub downs' rather than sand downs with Polyfilla.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

There are plenty of choices nowadays.

Ordinary finishing plaster if you mix it with a little pva, and can work fast.

Ready mixed plaster in a tub is getting cheaper. Lightweight, easy to use, but a slightly gritty finish IME. Technically, not plaster at all of course.

Artex has a finer finish and is just as easy to use. Drywall filler is similar

My latest chum is tile adhesive. Trowels on smoothly, sticks to anything, can be feather edged and fine finished with a wet trowel at leisure.

Reply to
stuart noble