Patching a SS sink - can it be done?

Friend has a commercial kitchen. One of the sinks has developed one actual and one potential pin hole in the base.

How does one repair it?

Replacement is not an option because of (a) lack of funds and (b) the historic nature of the kitchen - don't ask!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

If you can get at the back, then one of the plumber's epoxies.

Reply to
newshound

SS can be TIG welded. Perhaps a mobile welder in your area could help?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Self-tapping screw in the hole?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

================================== Google for: 'petropatch'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks to all.

Mark is searching for a local - to him - stockist of

Richard Savage

Araldite and a 2 pence piece. Use a bit of sticky tape to hold it in place until it sets.

Reply to
Alang

car body fller underneath, and scrub it clean on the topside. However I would instantly fail that if I was a kitchen inspector and I spotted it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Medway Handyman

If it's in commercial premises I'd have it done properly and get a patch welded on or get the whole lot replaced. Better than having a business closed down by the local authority inspectors over a relatively minor problem

Reply to
Alang

TIG if you can (some chippie fitters do callouts) This will be strongest.

Low temperature solders. Silver solder (Easyflow etc.) is piss-easy on stainless and only needs a cheap gas torch. It's likely to be easier to fit a larger, clean-edged patch than to faff around with a hole. Any of the model engineering people will sell small quantities of the bits.

I wouldn't bother with epoxies - silver solder is too easy.

Passivate again afterwards, or it'll stain. Citric acid and web searching will do.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Alang coughed up some electrons that declared:

Agree. If this were a car and the patch was on the painted bodywork, I'd be looking at cutting out a square around the damaged area, forming a step in the edge, inserting a patch of steel flush and filling the join with weld. Grind the weld flat to finish.

I would have though that a stainless steel welding person could have made fairly short work of this and it would be a proper, hygienic and permanent repair.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S