Paste on walls

Stripped the paper off the bathroom walls prior to painting.

Washed down with warm soapy water & microfibre cloth - twice.

Put a coat of emulsion on one wall & it looks like crap - sort of orange peel finish.

I conclude that I didn't wash down well enough & the paste residue is reacting with the paint?

Two questions then - whats the best way of washing down to get rid of paste residue - before I carry on? And what do I do withe the wall I've painted? Rather not sand it down, but that's how its looking.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You could put up lining paper and paint over that.

Reply to
polygonum

Probably sealed with PVA and your emulsion does not stand a chance.

Reply to
Ericp

Having dealt with an entire house-worth like this, it can be done, but is quite hard work.

I used a steamer to remove the paper, then steamer again and a wide scraper to take of most of the bulk of the paste.

Then a bucket of Flash+hot water and a really heavy rough floor cloth - the type with the holes in. The paste never really dissolves - it just turns to slime. You need to mechanicaly remove that rather than spread it around, hence perforated cloth.

I probably went over each m2 about 4 times until I could feel the slidiness of the slimed paster disappear into a rough dragging feeling. At that point I deemed it clean enough. It painted fine after that.

As for your existing wall - as the first coat will have stabilised the wall, could you not roller one or two coats of paint on thickly? I find rollering generously helps. If not, perhaps roller on a very heavy paint - like some crack-covering ceiling paint, then reapply the final colour? How bad is it?

Reply to
Tim Watts