Passing gas

I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a pisser!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

As you cannot light the flame other ways, are the air jet thingies clogged? I am sure there is a proper name for these but my brain has temporarily lost it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You say gas goes through, but you cannot light it? That doesn't sound right. I once fixed a similar fire, after a summer of disuse, it would only light with a long gas lighter but not stay alight when the button was released, I thought initially that it was the thermocouple broken , but it turned out that the pilot light was too small to get the thermocouple to operate. Upon dismantling to get to the pilot light jet I discovered the reamins of a tiny spider in the air gas mixer venturi above the jet, cleaned that out and all was well. So in your case it is probably a similar fault, take it to bits, clean it all and reassemble.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Subject line reminds of someone I knew at university, who had a classmate at school who had the most rotten farts and spent three months collecting all his farts while in the bath to release during the end of term school assembly.

Reply to
Scott

Check the wire to the piezo igniter and makes sure the electrode is clean and there no dirt that the spark can track back to earth.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If the insulator between the central electrode and the casing of the heater is dirty, electricity can leak over a low(ish) resistance path through the dirt instead of causing a nice fat spark. Maybe clean the electrode and insulator with WD40 to clean off any grot and also remove any moisture - it's the same principle as trying to get a car started on a damp foggy morning.

I'm worried about "I can not get the flame lit with a lighter" because that makes me wonder if gas is even getting to the pilot light, irrespective of how you ignite that gas (spark or match flame).

Reply to
NY

I would expect it to be difficult to get a lighter flame close enough to the pilot light. Ideally a spill should be tried to see if the pilot is working. Also if it is anything like our gas fire knob controlling the desired heat output has to be pushed down whilst trying to light. The OP might not be aware of this either

Reply to
Bob Minchin