Part P - new cable colours

You're kidding I hope. What about surface mounted cable ? White (and occasionally) black are needed for these.

Reply to
Mike

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:03:33 -0000, "Mike" strung together this:

Why?

Reply to
Lurch

"IMM" wrote | "James" wrote | > The BBC website does not mention Part P only applies to England | > and Wales. Yes - it can be argued that similar rules already | > apply to Scotland, but the means of implementation/enforcement | > seem to be radically different.

The only rule in Scotland is that work must comply with the IEE regs. Where other work is being done which brings the job within the building warrant process, a wiring certificate will be requested by the BCO. AFAIK there's no requirement to obtain a building warrant for electrical work on its own.

| Does Part L only apply to Eng & Wales too?

*All* the Building Regulations apply only to E&W. Scotland has entirely separate regulations, and the part numbering does not correspond.

Unfortunately, my understanding from the last Wiring Matters is that a similar scheme is being considered for Scotland.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My understanding is that Scotland is a completely separate so far as building control is concerned, which means they have a separate code. So Part L does not apply in Scotland as such, although there is probably some fairly equivalent legislation. What does seem to be very different is how it is enforced - without the overuse of "competent persons schemes" etc. For example replacement windows in Scotland do not involve Fensa as a certifying body.

James

Reply to
James

There is. It needed to be different for roofs though due to the different form of construction used there.

Reply to
Mike

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:08:18 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Mike" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Some parts of AD E, H and J are a bit daft, too.

Whatever happened to Part Q - Providing broadband to every new house?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Creating pipe dreams take longer than balls-ups.....

-- From address changed due to the individual.net FAQ / AUP changing.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yep, rules in Scotland and NI are different and completely different respectively:

Tony Bryer

Which? 1996 or 1995?

Reply to
usenet

'95

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it just me living in a timewarp? Better nip back into the tardis quickly...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I must have been fiddling with my sonic screwdriver while typing...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well possibly in some cases - but at least the BCO should realise this and allow an alternative.

The companies manufacturing broadband equipment pointed out that anything installed now would be obsolete next week so don't bother. Most work on VDSL in the UK is winding down and whether it's WiMax, satellite, laser or whatever, a wireless solution will dominate broadband provision in due course.

Reply to
Mike

Is that a PPPoo one or a DeWalt ?

Reply to
Mike

Really?, What makes you think that then....

Reply to
tony sayer

I don't think that there's huge value in satellite unless you are doing bulk downloads or spanning large continents like Russia where satellite is used for backup. For interactive use it's poor.

Wireless local loop is pretty good. I've had such a service for about 5 years on the 3.6-4.2GHz band and it works pretty well. I can have an ADSL equivalent at lowish cost, or 512k, 1Mb or 2Mb asymmetrical or symmetrical contended at 50, 15 or 5 to 1. At the moment, I'm using 1Mb symmetrical, 5:1 and from measurements it does deliver that.

However, the equipment isn't cheap so the connection cost is relatively high now - wasn't when I got it.

From the SP's point of view, the coverage works well. In my area, there are base stations about every 5-8km and they can cover line of sight - generally about 8km or a bit more.

I don't think that it's a solution for every situation, but it's better than ADSL and cable modem.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm a consultant for many of those companies.

If WiMax gets the top end of the analogue TV bands as it will in the US and some other places then it's a fairly done deal, otherwise laser solutions could still succeed. And there is a round trip problem with satellite, it is the best way to deliver huge amounts of data to lots of people. In theory every non-video/music page on the Internet could be regularly delivered to one's own private 'google' if you had a large enough hard drive.

Reply to
Mike

Not to mention that I don't see how it relates to how you wire your house up if you want to network a number of PCs. It's still either cheaper or faster to use cat5 (or cat6) and if you make that wiring permanent part P will (apparently) apply.

How you get the connection from your ISP doesn't really come into it does it unless every PC has its own wireless connection to something outside the house.

Reply to
usenet

This was really a comment to part Q - mandatory broadband.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would have thought mandatory shareable ducting would be the way to go.

At my last flat, we could not get cable TV because the management agents would not allow the paving to be dug up. Couldn't have satellite dishes either.

ADSL saved the day for me as BT already had their cables there (and their own ducting should they ever need to re-lay).

Unfortunately no-one else was allowed to use spare space the BT ducts. So big chunky ducts owned by the landlord would be an answer.

Cheap on new builds. No need to predict the technology of tomorrow. Just stuff the wires/fibres through when required.

My 2p's worth.

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S