In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Thanks, for those interested:

and

Reply to
bof

Nice get out clause.

Reply to
bof

Unless you mean the date stamp on that nice shiny CU...

Reply to
John Rumm

Which replaced the manky old CU....

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Still notifiable. IIUI CUs are net in the like for like exemptions.

I wonnder if it could be done as case...main switch....mcb..... nother mcb....etc. all different date stamps.

Or just do it with one with a year old datestamp.

Reply to
<me9

Which had somehow become "damaged"...

Oh look - there's a damaged cable too...

Reply to
Ian White

The "required paperwork" would be the Building Control paperwork I suppose, if yo uwere doing the work without Part P. I did ask our local BC about what to do if I wanted to do my own wiring and have them inspect it. The fee was =A3100 for each inspection. He said that they would do a continuity and insulation test at the meter to check it.

presumably the 'offence' would be failing to notify BC of the work. Is that a criminal offence? I guess not. Is it a tort?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

They are not permitted to charge for the inspection, nor can they require you to get it done at your expense. This is now stated in Part P itself, although it has always been the case. You already paid for it in the form of the building notice fee.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer. The building notice fee was =A3100 which included the inspection. If you wnated to do a series of small jobs (every few months say) but to reconnect the electrics in between them then they each had to be a separate job requiring a separate =A3100 notice fee for each job.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Not something that has registered with my LA, LB Richmond:

[if you are DIYings and so submitting a Building Notice]

"At commencement of works you should tell us in the normal way and inspections of the installation will be carried out (if part of a building scheme at the same time as other inspections). At completion of works you will have to provide us with an Electrical Installation Certificate signed by a competent person. Until this certificate is received a Completion Certificate for the whole of the works cannot be issued."

Building Notice charge (classed as works under £5000), £225.51 inc VAT. And then they expect me to arrange an inspection and test.

I will be selling my place soon and it would do no harm to replace the CU (1970s Wylex MCBs) - with a split one, £70 from Screwfix and a morning's work. But with Part P I will leave well alone, as it's just not worth the risk of getting into arguments with a buyer's solicitor. Net result of Part P, a slightly less safe installation.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Spot on. Predicted in advance, and borne out by subsequent figures.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But Part P itself now explicitly says that they cannot do that. And all local authorities were sent a letter from central government saying "you should never have done that, and if you have been you'd better stop it sharpish".

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Alas like for like swaps of a CU are not exempt from notification.

Reply to
John Rumm

And yet some still ignore it...

John Rumm

Since my earlier post I've decided to just get on and replace my CU. Use the 10 ways to make the system much better and safer. But - with gritted teeth - before I put my place on the market I may submit a regularisation application for this and various other things that all will come within the £5K value of work. It will cost around £300 for nothing really, but a week's interest while solicitors argue is more than that. And the new CU will be one less thing for a buyer to argue a price drop on.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Won't you still have to also pay for the "Inspect and Test" certificate as well as the £300 if your LA does not honour the Approved Doc?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes, in advance of going to the LA I will get a periodic inspection test done by a local electrical firm and a Landlords safety certificate for the gas boiler. Yes, it will cost me, but apart from easing the sale (hopefully) I want to be sure that the work I have done is safe - not, obviously that I have any reason to doubt it, but equally don't have the equipment to confirm it.

5% on £400K is £400p.w. A lot of money to be losing if solicitors want to be picky.
Reply to
Tony Bryer