Part P inspections

Yes.

Kitchens (and bathrooms, areas outside of the equipotential zone) are only "special" with regard to exempted works. eg: you may add a spur to an existing ring main without telling anyone, but not in a kitchen or bathroom or (presumably) your detached shed (I am unclear on the last point).

You may, however, with the appropriate planning permission and building control, knock down your house, and build a completely new one, make the foundations (with cellar), fit the electrics, gas, structural members, roof etc all by your own fair hand. Many people do varying degrees of this all the time.

Theoretically, I suppose you could build a skyscraper as a DIY job, but the PP would be tricky (Norman Foster has enough trouble) and the building control people probably want to see calculations slightly more sophisticated than the printout of a "Superbeam" screenshot ;->

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:56:41 -0000, "Doctor Evil" strung together this:

This is a complete pillock.

Reply to
Lurch

A racist comment too.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Many DIYers have fitted unvented cylinders and the BCO has signed it off. So, you can do an unvented cylidner as long as you inform the LBA and pay the fee.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

How exactly?

Reply to
John Rumm

No it isn't - it's completely inclusive.

There was even the earlier picture of your good self in troll guise.

Nobody has been excluded.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, as long as they don't use a hacksaw to cut and strip the cable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it is illegal is there any action which can be taken against this "abuse of power"? I guess it results from local authorities trying to get themselves out of hole - which was not of their making.

The above site is unclear, but it appears you need to pay a minimum of 117 GBP (inc VAT) for a building notice *and also* pay an unspecified amount for an inspection, either by an electrician whom you appoint or by the authorities agent. The latter appears to make at least two visits so it will not be cheap.

For piecemeal work spread over a period of time, it would almost certainly appear to be cheaper just to seek retrospective approval at the end - so that everything is rolled up into one job. Of course if this involves exposing the wiring this may result in disruption.

It is interesting to note the above sites points to the following document

in which it highlights the following issues if you do not follow building control procedures:

  1. The installation might be unsafe
  2. You will have no record of work done
  3. You may have difficulty selling house
  4. Building control may insist you put right faulty work.

1 and 4 are a non issue for a competent DIYer. The importance of 2 is unclear. Which just leave 3. If you have no intention of selling your home this is again irrelevant - if you do retrospective permission may be the easiest (and cheapest) option.

James

Reply to
James

That's one option. Or, as I've mentioned before, put in a long term BNA covering everything you could ever conceivably want to do, if the LBA doesn't make it difficult to do so.

Point 2) is irrelevant. New builds are supposed to come with all sorts of certs and plans. Don't always.

Point 3) is scaremongering - I'm fairly sure. The LBA have 6 months to take action over evasion of building regs, according to a book I read recently. After that, I think the actions open to them are limited (none?). Technically, it's only an "issue" if you lie about it. Tell the buyer you did work, didn't declare it, and the time for LBA actions has lapsed. Invite them to inspect the work in detail.

Don't think it will make any difference whatsoever. It isn't much different to selling a car with no MOT. Caveat emptor...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

What about teeth...?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

How long before they hike their fees once they figure this out....?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

You " Here is my notice and fee" Them " Pay us more, or someone else more for a cert" You " No. I have already done what the law requires, now do your job & give me my approval"

Who do you complain to if BC don't do their job...? Can you sue them if their refusal to do their job costs you money (e.g. delays house sale) ?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Frank, it is. It is in fact, exceptionally low.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Frank, the LBA would cut your wires with a hacksaw? My oh my!

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Explain?

Reply to
John Rumm

"Mike Harrison" wrote | You " Here is my notice and fee" | Them " Pay us more, or someone else more for a cert" | You " No. I have already done what the law requires, now | do your job & give me my approval" | Who do you complain to if BC don't do their job...? | Can you sue them if their refusal to do their job costs | you money (e.g. delays house sale) ?

You would need to take legal advice on this, but in general principle I think you would serve a Writ of Mandamus on them, that is a court order like an injunction compelling them to carry out their lawful obligations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

give me my approval"

A judge.

Many of whom will happily award damages and costs against building control as they delayed his extension or holiday home a few years ago :-)

Reply to
Mike

Fixed by ODPM. They have just raised the price for planning though so I expect something is in the pipeline but it's done by cost of work and electrics are relatively cheap - labour is a bit higher but components are almost free in the scheme of things.

Reply to
Mike

And then you'd better hope you never have a need to submit another building notice to the same LA again...

David

Reply to
Lobster