Part P in Scotland?

No England & wales only, Scotland has its own rules.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

You've already got quite strict electrical regulations in place there.

Reply to
Mike

Oh sh*t - nobody told me....

Geo

Reply to
Geo

You're being serious ? Don't worry - nobody will know as they're too busy discussing Part P.

Reply to
Mike

"Geo" wrote | "Mike" wrote: | >You've already got quite strict electrical regulations in place there. | Oh sh*t - nobody told me....

The work should usually be compliant with IEE Regs, that's all. If it's part of other work which requires a building warrant, the BCO will want to see a certificate.

The relevant legislation is Part N:

N2.1* An electrical installation must be constructed, installed and protected to minimise the risk of fire in the building or elsewhere. In normal operation, taking into account the surroundings, it must not create the risk of burns, shock or other injury to people. It must - a. safely accommodate any likely maximum demand; b. incorporate suitable automatic devices for protection against overcurrent or leakage; and c. have switches, or other means of isolating parts of the installation or equipment connected to it, as are necessary for safe working and maintenance.

in the Technical Standards:

(N2.1) The requirements of N2.1 will be met where an installation complies with the relevant requirements of BS7671: 1992.

This does not restrict the housholder to IEE Regs as long as he can demonstrate an equivalent alternative way of complying with the legislation.

At the moment.

The IEE Wiring Matters magazine was insinuating there'll be a similar scheme in Scotland soon, as it's such a good idea.

One aside is that Part P only seems to apply to installations on the consumer's side of the meter. Presumably privatly generated supplies with no meter are exempt.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Almost - (an English exile of many years)

Oh goodie - I'll stick with my old tartan wiring then

Geo

Reply to
Geo

"Geo" wrote | Oh goodie - I'll stick with my old tartan wiring then

Do remember that the Scottish Parliament has banned hunting. All wiring now has to be in dress tartan :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I lived there, the certificate could be signed off by any IEE member, including oneself if you were one. None of this NEICCIEEC... nonsense. Don't know if that's still the case though.

Reply to
Mike

Where'd you get the tartan from? I've been looking for a reel of that for ages. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote | "Geo" wrote | > Oh goodie - I'll stick with my old tartan wiring then | Where'd you get the tartan from? I've been looking for a reel | of that for ages. :-)

What size reel? Eightsome, sixty-foursome?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And is it McDonald for Live, or what's the colour code.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ah now, see, the wiring starts with the Royal Stewart and works its way up from there. :)

Reply to
BigWallop

Actually three different tartans for the phases of 3phase would be an improvement on the current proposal !!!

Reply to
Mike