"Part P in force by 2004"

Page 3 of 3

Expect to see a rush of new DIY books as well, full of disclaimers and warnings. I presume they will have to withdraw all the old ones from sale to avoid misleading the punters.
Although if the direst predictions are correct then even changing a light fitting will require an inspection visit by a qualified electrician.
Nah - never happen.
Cheers Dave R
P.S. how long does it take to train as an electrician (inspections only)?

If they're working from instructions in a book with diagrams, then it would take about five minutes to show them what to look for on the meters they carry around with them.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Is it not the law in some countries that you have to be 'qualified' to fit a plug?
wrote in message<snip>

No - Qu'al el Fayed I think :-)

Yep, Australia.

That is true.
When I did my C&G2381 early this year at college we had a guy who had just returned from Oz after spending time out there practicing in the gas and electric fields (he was qualified for both), and in the tea breaks he told us that there is no such thing as DIY for gas and electric, it is qualified tradespeople only.
To some extent I would prefer that they adopted the same system over here. That way we don't have the nonsense of "if it's a kitchen then testing is required, but in the dining room it's okay", as Part P is going to enforce. Begs the question about fitting a new socket in a combined kitchen-diner.....
If there were hard and fast rules about can and can't do then you know where the barrier is and can therefore seek to jump over it, instead of playing "once upon a time".
PoP