Part P exam questions on line

Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people out there who will enjoy them.

from

ARWadsworth

Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people out there who will enjoy them.

from

ARWadsworth

> taken from

Only one comment Adam - c&g 2381 is not the part p exam but 16th edition of the wiring regs. The part p exam is actually a building regulations multi-guess on-line test. Not sure without looking it up what the number is for that but its EAL equivalent is a twenty question test with a 70% or 14 mark pass/ fail cut-off

Reply to
cynic

What is the pass mark?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

connected to

  1. a circuit protected by a fuse 2. the load site of the circuit 3. a circuit having a circuit protective conductor 4. the supply side of the circuit.

It says that 4 is the correct answer.

Now a plug to me is a male connector. You always refer to the mating parts, not bits of the connector body when determing the sex of a connector. Male conectors have pins, which stick out, like those of a 13A

*PLUG*.

No way should that be connected to "the supply side of the circuit".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi Adam,

What the pass mark?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't understand what they mean by 'connected' either.

Do they mean 'wired to' or 'plugged into'

Ny its very nature a plug in service is connected to upstream and downstream parts of the circuit.

So my answer in the old pre multiple choice days, would have been to say 'all four, if its to be useful, and safe, depending on the interpreation of 'connected''

  1. Everything should be connected to a circuit protected by a fuse, if its connected to anything, and needs to work in safety
  2. A plug is generally wired to the load side of a circuit, if wired=='connected'
  3. I have no idea what a protective conductor is, but if he means an earth wire, then in general a mains plug should only be connected to one of those, yes.
  4. Obviously if an appliance with a plug is to do anything useful it has to be plugged into (connected to) a supply.

Are you sure the question does not have a 'not' in there..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are rote learning tests.

I saw no evidence of any fundamental understanding of electricity or safety issues pertaining to it in any of the questions I tried.

I mean, does it help knowing the BS**%^&"£=78 is the standard applied to Caravan parks, and not public urinals??

Ye gods.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Reminded me of my PAT tester's C&G - open book and 30% random terminology.

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.

Reply to
dennis

So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I managed about 73% just by guessing..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No I don't but I got more than that and I doubt if anything aimed at electricians requires more. While they are skilled they are not expected to be rocket scientists which is why the "regs" tell them how to do things. If they come across something unusual they either ask someone else or bodge it. I prefer to think its the former but I do have enough knowledge to check most of if I need to.

Reply to
dennis

Exactly my score too, without reference to anything. Which is worrying if that were a pass. Don't know about you, but I'm happy enough with domestic electrics in my own house. But there is no way I should be let loose on a farm or in a factory.

I don't think the sample paper I tried covered nearly enough material and a

1 of 4 answer system encourages educated guesswork. I have a passing familiarity with the 16th Edition, but at no time have I ever made a concerted effort to read the whole book, let alone wot for an exam.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

I wouldn't worry about farms. IME, farmers pay no more attention to the wiring regs than they do to any other laws, IOW none.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. My impression was that the examination was a question of reading and memorising the regulations. Understanding them was not actually required.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LoL :)

Doesn't seem to stop the Department for the Eradication of Farming and Rural Affairs from trying though.

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

Ever read the farmers " 'ealth and safety" manual?..

"101 things you can repair or bodge up at harvest time with a length of baling twine"

Reply to
tony sayer

I was more impressed by the 2391 exam, not that I got beyond reading the first page. At least it started with some open answers, which are a lot more difficult if you haven't a clue. Which I hadn't so I gave up, which is how it should be.

'course, doesn't lend itself to "cost efficient" automatic grading... Funny how saving money these days always seems to cost more in intangible ways down the line...

The 2381 was very similar to my PAT exam (2377-002) which was totally multi guess AND open book. Got one wrong (which pissed me off because I cannot for the life of me work out which one).

The course was worth it though (IET in London) as the combination of the two old boys, one former sparks and the other an Engineer did make the course very informative. Mind you, even there, the "practical exam" was a bit half arsed. The sparks was a very practical sort of bloke with a wealth of useful tips (reminded me of Fred Dibnah) and the Engineer filled in with some excellent explanations of why things were written the way they were.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood