Part P double socket under the worktop

I did think of that but there's no room. the socket must be moved so that the fridge freezer can be pushed flat against the back wall.

Reply to
.

Yup - had that problem with a TV aerial which got damaged in a storm. Buildings claimed it was part of the TV so contents, contents said your joking. So I cancelled the pair of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ooh, that's an interesting observation! - and it's the same in the brown OSG. The guidance is certainly in line with Part M (Section 8) which appears to apply to all habitable rooms on the principal storey of a house, so I'm not sure why the OSG seeks to exclude kitchens. I wonder whether the IEE/IET is aware of this apparent contradiction though.

No, but some people might treat it as such...

I assume you meant 553-01-06; it's their (the IEE's or the author's?) idea of how to interpret that reg. A standard faceplate is 86 mm high, so if the centre-line is 150 above the worktop, the bottom edge of the sockets will be at 107 mm - that's just neatly above your 4 in. tiles, so where's the problem?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Part M also only applies to new buildings (and those already conforming to Part M), not to modifications/refits.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's true for dwellings, but (AIUI) not necessarily true for other types of building.

The EGBR has the same wording that's in the OSG, but then adds:

"The guidance given in Approved Document M applies to all new dwellings. Note that if a dwelling is rewired there is no requirement to provide the measures described above providing that upon completion the building is no worse in terms of the level of compliance with the other Parts of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations."

Reply to
Andy Wade

Kitchens are not habitable rooms

Reply to
DJC

Yes they are, at least for the current purpose. From the definitions in Approved Document M, on page 18:

"0.30 The following meanings apply only to terms used in the sections on dwellings in this Approved Document.

"Habitable room, for the purpose of defining the principal storey, means a room used, or intended to be used, for dwelling purposes, including a kitchen but not a bathroom or a utility room."

Reply to
Andy Wade

And if it's not just tell them to sue the surveyor - LOL!

Andrew

Reply to
google