IMM

The funnies are coming by the load.

Reply to
IMM

sidecutters....?

Yes, big ones.

Reply to
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote | It's clear enough in this case. It is common to create long | sentences in legalese precisely so that the punctuation | controls the meaning.

Other way about. Legal documents are usually written so that punctuation has little or no effect on meaning, because it is easily omitted or inserted in error or can drop out during a copying process. Have just checked the working copy of my Will and it has not a single punctuation mark in the whole document.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

":::Jerry::::" wrote | > > I didn't say that you can't "touch the ring main" | > > First of all it is a "ring final circuit". | > I don't see the term "ring final circuit". | Well, it certainly isn't a ring main, otherwise you would be | working out in the road !..

I suspect that Buck House and similar sized properties have their own substation and internal distribution may well be on a ring main.

In fact, I think I suggested a ring main for someone with a lot of outbuildings on here a short while back.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've seen it done with scissors. Great big ones like tree trunk sheers they were. Nice neat job too.

Reply to
BigWallop

Sorry, you're right, I meant to say doesn't - comes of doing two things at once.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm dammed certain it does, and it's own generator set(s) too !

Err, in the context, would that not be just a very large (both in area and power rating) ring circuit as it's after the company fuse(s) - unless they also had the own substation ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

IMM wrote:

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perhaps an example would help...

It would appear that IMM has a poor grasp of basic English, lacks comprehension, and has a limited ability to type.

Clearly all three apply.

To make the first part of a sentence of similar construction exclusive we would need an "or". Thus: it would appear that IMM has a poor grasp of basic English, or, he has made a basic error, and is too intransigent to admit it.

Simple, obvious.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Andy Hall writes

Let's not run before we can walk. I'd suggest dIMM gets the Ladybird Book of Reading Comprehension, then the Ladybird Book of Spelling and Grammar before proceeding to anything as complicated as wiring.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Harrison writes

Quite.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No you didn't, you replied...

[ FU's set ]
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You're right: for a standard rewire no one will notice and no one will care. But when you sell you have to complete a seller's questionnaire which currently has a question as to whether you have replaced any windows since the magic date and if so where is the paperwork. No doubt there will be a similar question about electrics: it's just that 90% of people will know whether they've replaced a window or not, whilst 90% will have no clue as to whether they have done work to which Part P applies. But if unsatisfactory or non-committal answers lead to more installations being tested (at a guess only a tiny percentage are at present) then it could be argued that safety will be improved. How much more sensible though to have just required anyone selling to produce a Gas Safety Certificate and Electric report.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In a sense thats true, but the difference between gas and electric is what to do if it fails to meet current standards?

AIUI gas regs are strictly enforceable and if your installation fails a test such that it is at risk or immediate danger, then you have an obligation to fix it (in the spirit of uk.d-i-y I expect someone will be along forthwith to correct me with the exact letter of the law if this is at all incorrect!) - and didn't I read in a thread previously that one of the few things you cannot do with a house sale is to sell a property with gas installation in a dangerous situation?

Lectrics don't tend to have the same effect - I reckon that a sizeable proportion of existing housing stock would fail to meet 16 edition standards, and many houses sold would have very out of date installations (esp if it's come onto the market as part of sale of a deceased's estate). What do you do? Force the current owner to update the supply (they could be selling due to a dire financial position), probably pushing up the sale price? If the house was to be renovated then this new work could simply be ripped out anyway.

Lets face it - if buyers actually cared about the state of the electrics in a place over and above what they could see from cursory examination (and other things like structure, area, what colour the seller's sofa is, school catchment, etc) then there would surely be an active push from estate agents and surveyors to offer a full electrical report (for a charge) on the house rather than things like the homebuyer's survey's "we recommend that an electrical inspection is carried out".

Hmm - a potential market for one of our enterprising resident sparks...?

Reply to
RichardS

That's why I said Gas Safety Certificate and electric report. You can't get the former unless the installation is OK thus the seller has no choice but to do what is necessary (which may mean capping off the pipework at the meter). The electric report just puts the buyer on notice as to any shortcomings which may not actually any real danger at present (i.e. no earth to lighting points but no metal fittings or switches installed).

It is nonsensical that the gas installation in a rented property has to be professionally checked every year whilst in the private sector their may have been no test since the conversion to natural gas.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I am brilliant at English and life in general.

Reply to
IMM

Maxie will decide if Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, will have a Ladybird. What is it like? You have in depth knowledge of this publication. Tell Maxie.

Reply to
IMM

Would you believe someone who is about to sell you a house? I know I don't. House purchase and sale bring out the very worst in all concerned.

This is why I think seller's packs are a stupid idea and have no intention of either producing one for my house or paying the slightest attention to those produced for the vendors of any house I might buy.

Reply to
Huge