Part ??? of building regs. What's next

Just had a thought.

Part P is the latest addition to the building regs.

Building regs tend to be assigned a letter ( part P ) based on their time of initial assignment from what I can gather.

So what will Part Q be?

This is purely speculative, not based on fact and fictitious but possibly incorporating:

Part Q ( Fixtures to dwellings and the safety thereof ) section 1 ( ODPM directive ). No one shall fit a picture frame to a wall in a dwelling that incorporates a glass protective covering of the picture be it reflecting or non-reflecting glass. All protective coverings must be either toughened glass or made of plastic complying with BS303030. If you change the picture in a said frame you must also upgrade the glass protective covering or the frame to one approved or use a person registered with a Competent Person self registering competence body. Changing the picture in the frame and not using a Competent Person means that you need to apply for building regs approval. Pictures fitted above head height ( 2.5 metres to ensure the tallest is protected ) must be securely fixed to the wall using fasteners that comply with BS10101010. Also, pictures of a particularly attractive nature - where a person may require close viewing - must use a frame that cannot introduce wood splinters into their flesh as they view - in brief the frame must comply with BS20202020. Building regs notification to change a picture in a fixed domestic picture frame OR the frame itself will only cost £ 58.00 unless done by a COMPETENT PERSON.

This is a discussion igniter only - but do you see where I'm heading.

The regulators will no doubt be working to regulate similar as they read this post.

Maybe I should have kept it to myself - unless of course you are a picture framer.

What other Part Q's could there be?

Sceptical - what me - no!!

Reply to
ItsMe

It was provision of telephone and data network wiring to and around the home. Whilst it was being drafted and consulted upon, WiFi came along and made it redundant, although I'm surprised they noticed that and didn't bring it in anyway.

The requirement for builders to install phone/data cable ducting from the street to the house on new builds was the only bit of it which seemed reasonable to me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I reckon Part T. Or Part Tea to be precise.

"Any person working in domestic premises must be provided with a large mug of tea at intervals not exceeding 1 hour".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Compliance can be demonstrated by including a plate of Ginger Nuts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

after a nasty accident with an angle grinder, most likely.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I should get a part as a straight man to set up the gags.

Reply to
Andy Hall

what can be done about the jammie dodgers that don't comply?

Reply to
Paul Herber

*** A moisture repellent coating must be applied in case of subsequent immersion in liquid.
Reply to
dom

Marie will hobnob with them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All light fixings shall be lowerable to a height suitable for a Disabled Person in a Wheelchair to change the bulb in.

Insulation to an overall average U value of 0.03 s mandatiorty.

Ventilation to reduce this to an average value of one, must be installed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is any valuable scrap left outside the door classed as gypsy cream?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

All lowest floors to be 1800mm minimum above ground level as protection against flooding.

The requirements for ramped access under Part M still apply.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They could also have included one point per room suitable for an electric clock.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yesterdays customers passed the test then.

The customers were not in and left a key with the next door neighbour. I picked the key up and let myself in. Just inside the door was a hand drawn plan of the kitchen highlighting the positions of the kettle, tea, coffee and milk with the words "HELP YOURSELF MATE" written underneath.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

If they're short-bread possibly.

However, one does have to be careful about soggy biscuit

Reply to
Andy Hall

No so much the upper crust, more the soggy bottom?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In public schools apparently.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was trying to be as Nice as possible when thinking of a suitable allusion.

Workmen in South Shields are historically quite fond of a Garibaldi.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

With the mining in that area, I would have thought Ore-o would be more suitable

Golfers at Lytham find that they provide a rich tee.

Reply to
Andy Hall

thanks Andy...

[george]