Parquet floor too dark (probably)

Hello,
Under a carpet for the last 25 years (or so) is a parquet floor. If I were to remove the carpet, sand the floor down and give it a few coats of Diamond polish (or whatever), it'll probably look a fairly dark brown. Is there any way of making it lighter? Are there any treatments that could be applied without making it look rubbish to lighten it a little? (I like the light brown one gets with the laminate floors these days)
Thanks
JB
John Biddiscombe wrote:

If you sand deep enough, and its oak, it will ome up blond. Most decemnt floorvranishes that wera, will rdarken and yellow it and it will darken a klittle more over time.
If its mahiogany, its dark, period.