Parquet - central heating.

Should I lay my reclaimed parquet flooring when I've finished cleaning it up or leave it until I have the central heating installed and the house is warmer?

At the minute there's a oil radiator and dehumidifier in the room but obviously the house is bearable to work in rather than liveable.

The flooring is circa 1932 from what I remember when I bought it, hardwood.

Anyone who says this can be relaid without cleaning it up has definately lower standards than me. lol. I've scraped off the bottoms of all of it so far and started giving it a quick run over on the top with the belt sander - mainly so I can pick out any split or badly damaged ones before fitting them.

They have a serious amount of varnish on them so much so they are a different colour. I'd still llike to clean the edges but fear I will be on the point of burning it and fitting laminate by then. :-)

I've test stuck a piece down and think I'll have trouble taking it back up so no worries about them coming up hopefully.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

My property had parquet flooring when purchased. After installing CH, on moving in, by a few weeks they had shrunk a little causing gaps, so perhaps it would be best to install the CH, leave the parquet in the house unlaid for a few weeks then install. Might not be practical though.

Reply to
Broadback

Wait till the heating is installed then a bit more for the house to warm up. Then store the parquet in the room for a few days so it aclimatises, then lay it. If you do that it won't move afterwards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I second that. Winter with CH on is maximum shrink for wood. Lay them like that and they will never have gaps..and go into compression in the humid summers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the help guys. I'll finish cleaning it all up and leave it until the heating is installed.

Is Danish oil ok to finish it with?

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.